Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Mar 18, 2009

Stila Mango Crush Lip and Cheek Stain Review and Swatches

I can't believe I'm about to say this but this morning when I was test driving Stila Mango Crush I realized I was too pale to use it. Gasp! Outrageous right? Although it looks mighty nice on I think it'll look way more flattering, gulp still can't believe I'm saying this, on sunny skin. Obviously Stila's intention was to make a shade that was flattering on tanned skin and in this case I'm in agreement with them.


You've been reading Musings long enough by now probably to realize what an advocate the Muse is when it comes to brightening, whitening, and remaining as pale as possible. I'm a medium fair skin and I do everything in my power to bring my skin down to, at the very least, a fair shade without looking too ghastly. I think I blend out well enough that you'd never realize my skin was a shade or two darker than it actually really is. This morning I was having a test run with Stila Mango Crush and I realized that it'll actually be way more flattering if I simply sat in the sun for a while or used a tinted bronzer or bronzing powder prior to applying.



I'm loving the shade. It's a gorgeous deep coral color that has a hint of a pearly shimmer that's very pretty. It's plenty pigmented to give a nice pop of peach to cheeks. I think the idea was for it to taste like mango as with the other stains in the line they taste and smell like their namesakes. However, I thought it tasted like cucumber and not mango.






The stain comes in a click style pen and with a brush applicator. Simply click for a squirt of color and brush on. A per my rantings in my prior reviews I'm not a fan of using the product on my lips and following up on my face so I've taken to simply wiping it clean with a MAC Cleansing Cloth after each use. My first venture with Stila Cherry Crush I ended up purchasing one for my lips and one for my cheeks but I've become economy friendly now and just wipe down the brush after use with the cloth and I'm good to rumble. I like the style of packaging as it's travel friendly and mess, fuss-free.

As mentioned above it gives a rather lovely pop of peach to my cheeks but I think it would look even better on a tanned face. Tomorrow I'm going to try using a bit of a bronzing powder to see how it looks on. The shade is quite pigmented and should work well on most skin types however it may not be deep enough for a darker skin tone. It looks quite nice and natural on lips as well.

Overall, I really loved Stila Mango Crush and must say I love that they keep extending this line and growing it with new shades. It's a wonderful color for Summer and it'll work well into the Fall. The stain is long wearing with no touch ups between so it's virtually sweat proof, rain proof, and sunny day proof. Even when the rest of your makeup has well worn away you'll still be sporting a sunny shade of sunset on the apples of your cheeks!






Well done Stila! Keep crushing and the Muse will keep buying! Stila Mango Crush Lip and Cheek Stain is Muse Approved for purchase. This was a little sneak peek review so you'll have to wait a little longer for Mango Crush, she'll be available in May from Stila and Sephora. For now check out Cherry Crush and Pomegranate Crush for cure your lemmings!



Want it?

Need it?

Have to have it?

Tell the Muse!

related posts

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cherry crush looks much better on your colouring. And hmmmm I was really expecting this to be more peach than orange. Nonetheless i do agree with you that you will look good in this with a gorgeous tan :)hugs!

March 18, 2009 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

This looks absolutely gorgeous on you!

March 18, 2009 at 1:00 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

I agree Aretha :) I'm hopeful a touch of bronzer would make it pop a little :-D

big hugs back hun!

March 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aw thanks dd :)

March 18, 2009 at 3:20 PM  
Blogger Monica said...

Great review, as always! It's wonderful how you're able to give us these previews long before the products are available ... but unfortunately it just leaves me DESPERATE to purchase the real thing!

March 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi monica!

thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. Totally understand the lemmings you're having lol!

I just lucked out with this sneak peek! Wish I can bring things to you much earlier so everyone can see items before they release, that would be cool!

March 18, 2009 at 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wew, the color looks too dark for my fair skin -- check my fotd photos on my blog and you'll know what i mean ^^;;

worse, i have neutral-cool undertone, i get dull if i use warm colors..

looks like i'll pass this, my wallet say hooray! :p

March 19, 2009 at 12:21 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi wonderfulwortelworld!

it's quite pigmented hun but I think it'll look divine with a hint of bronzer :-D

I love cooler shades but warmer ones make are ok for me thankfully :-D

hehe but you might want to indulge in cherry or pom those are cooler so your wallet isn't quite yayin' yet LOL

March 19, 2009 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger plue said...

can i sing a song like this...

" i want i want i want stila's pomegranate, cherry and mango crush?"

and repeat it like 100 times? Annoying, but OMG! It's so pretty! And you look great with them!

March 20, 2009 at 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol, indeed. i already have pomegranate. haven't snatched the cherry because someone said it's similar to benetint. i already have TBS lip n cheek stain which is a dupe of benetint ^^;;

but if i ever run out, i think i'll purchase that cherry crush. i love the consistency!

anyway, that all stila crushes looks real good on you! :D

March 20, 2009 at 4:52 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

LOL plue!!!!!!! :-D

thanks hun *hugs*

March 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi wonderfulwortelworld!

it is kinda similar to benetint but bit more pigmented.

I like the taste as well as the consistency :-D tastes like cherries hehe!

Thanks hun :-D

March 23, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home