Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Mar 18, 2009

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder Review

Dear MAC,

My life happens to be complete after meeting your MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder.

Thank you for blessing my mundane little world with it's existence.

Ever your fan,
the Muse

P.S. Can we has a pink Hello Kitty Collection?


The Muse met up with MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder and we fell in lurve. Read ahead for the details!

Not so long ago in a land right around the block from here the Muse ranted terribly about Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder. Somehow, someway this powder became a staple in my daily makeup regime. Actually I think it was Bobbi Brown that absolutely convinced me I had to set my concealer with a loose powder of some kind thus I started using the Secret Brightening Powder to do so and just kind of fell off the bandwagon of ranting over it and turned into liking it. I really should do a fair review on it one day but that's for another time.


The moral of the story is that I started liking the powder because I found an eye cream that was moisturizing my eyes very well so the powder wasn't creasing or caking as it once was and was setting my concealer to last all day plus brightening up my eye area. I still use it daily but I've also taken to using the powder that came with my Mally Concealer Kit as well. I've noticed that just about any transparent powder works great at settling concealer and blurring fine lines and creating very well rested eyes.

In steps MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder and lust quickly set in. I really, really like this and I highly recommend grabbing some because it's freaking cheap and it multitasks.

Break it down:

Laura Mercier $22 USD 0.14oz
Make Up For Ever $30 USD 0.35oz
MAC $21 USD 0.32oz <-----Swing! Deal!

Let's be honest, white finishing powder is white finishing powder no matter what the hell you call it, HD, Brightening, whatever it's name it's all the same stuff to me so honestly you get a whole lot of product with MAC's version and it'll only set you back $21 USD.

Benefits of finishing powder.....

So it's going to set your foundation for you right? True that. But it's also going to make it last considerably longer plus brighten your face, cool. But most important for me is it brightens, lightens, and wakes up my eye area while making my concealer last all day and than some more.




If you're looking for that extra step to look flawless this will do the job well. I do favor it as a tool for my under eye area but it also makes my skin look extra beautiful and flawless with a quick buff on.

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder will be available with the MAC Colour Ready Collection that releases April 2nd. I'm positive some MAC Pro shops already have it if you having a lemming at the moment.

MAC Prep + Prime Transparent Finishing Powder is fully Muse Approved for purchase. Get some, promise you'll adore it!



Tried it already?

Love it?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it TRULY transparent, though; a la UD's Mattifying Powder?

March 18, 2009 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

I vote yes on Proposition pink!

And yay for you loving a finishing powder. I'll admit it, I'm in love with my URFP from AL.

March 18, 2009 at 10:52 PM  
Blogger ms.iu said...

Hi..dear,i wud like to ask actually..what is the different between loose powder & finishing powder..?issit the same??

March 19, 2009 at 12:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this powder 100% silica? like MUFE HD powder?

i'm searching for silica powder as finely milled as MUFE HD, since i love the texture of MUFE HD to death but it oxidizes on me:(

March 19, 2009 at 12:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really really good! But I like the Silica powder from Coastal scents just as much. A huge jar is only $5 and the quality is the same as MUFE HD Perfecting! Rocketqueen lurves.

March 19, 2009 at 3:02 AM  
Blogger aaj83 said...

hi muse!! :)
i am back to bug u again..lolz!!

u just mentioned that u found a good eye-cream which solved ur prb of cakey concealer...so which holy grail eye-cream and concealer r u using nowadays?? specially the EYE CREAM?!? :)

i face the curse of dark under eye circles..with extreeeme dryness under the eyes..booohoo!! :(
heeeelp!! :-/

March 19, 2009 at 7:27 AM  
Blogger Inge said...

Ugh, I hate loose powders. I wish they'd make a pressed version. Maybe they will :)

March 19, 2009 at 8:20 AM  
Blogger delete this said...

Can't wait to grab some! Thanks Ms. Muse!

March 19, 2009 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

it's debatable puff :-D Darker skin it might show up a little chalky but blended out it should be ok. For me it's transparent :-D but does have a tiny but of a ghostly cast if I'm not careful :-D

March 19, 2009 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd!

LOL ;-D I haven't tried AL's version yet eep!

March 19, 2009 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi ms.iu

loose powders are normally heavier and pigmented so you can see you're wearing makeup...transparent finish powder is silkier, thinner in consistency and invisible on the skin. It blurs fine lines and imperfections on the skin, something that loose powders aren't known for doing as loose powders settle into fine lines sometimes and have a bit of a cakey look if not blended correctly. The consistency and formulas of the two powders is vastly different. A transparent powder is more invisible coverage mainly.

Hope this helps :-D

March 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi wonderfulwortelworld!

I don't believe so...I think it has talc as well..I'll look at the box tonight and let you know :)

March 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey linn!

After all the drama with coastal scents and the powder I was scared to try it LOL!

March 19, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi aaj83

Aw never bug hun!

I'm doing a round up of eye creams soon and the hg eye cream will be in there :) I use evolving balm and oil from badger balms, wrinkle revenge from dermadoctor and my concealer of choice at the moment is one of three, shills concealer, bb creamy concealer palette, or the mally concealer system.

dermadoctor wrinkle revenge is awesome for puffy eyes and dark circles but I do need more moisture so I use the balm or oil for a bit more moisture.
but no worries...eye creams are upcoming shortly...I have ALOT of 'em to review :-D

March 19, 2009 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi pixie!

You never know :) or snag some UD mattifying powder :) it's pressed w00t!

March 19, 2009 at 10:25 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

my pleasure J :)

give the good word when you get it curious what you think!

March 19, 2009 at 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello muse, thank you for your review. I was wondering what brushes would you use to apply this powder?

March 21, 2009 at 2:26 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello jill

my pleasure.

I find that the 224 works great with this. 224 fits nice under the eye and sweeps this down the sides of a nose etc....a smaller brush is perfect imho

March 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger SzeLing said...

Thanks for reviewing this. Think I'm gonna get this once it comes out in the stores.

If I want to use this to set my concealer on my cheeks, can I use the 150 brush?

March 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello caramel!

my pleasure.

sure that should be fine just remember to tap off much of the excess!

March 25, 2009 at 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse!
This was such a great review! I really enjoyed (well, I enjoy every of your entries!) reading it. You have such an unique and likable way to write. *envious* :p

Keep the great work!
Jess

April 1, 2009 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi jess!

I'm glad you enjoyed it hun! aw thanks hun you're terribly kind!

*hugs*

April 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just went out and got this product and love it!!!!!! Definetly worth the money! I cant live without it now.

May 11, 2009 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

By the way I only decided to get it because of your review!!!!!!!

May 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi lirian!

yay glad you likey :-D that's awesome!!!!!

Aw shucks I'm so glad my review helped and you're loving it :-D

Cheers!

May 12, 2009 at 4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey i'm a begginer at mac and I'm trying to find a good powder I'm between this one and also the mineralized skin finish and mac studio fix powder and the blot powder pressed but I don't know which one is best I'm looking for something with really good coverage that could be wear alone if wanted I have really oily skin so yeah and something that won't look cakey on my face which one would u recond thank you and ur reviews are really good:)

June 17, 2009 at 5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home