Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Mar 19, 2009

MAC SugarSweet Shadestick Review, Swatches, and First Impressions

Oh my god I'm in such a pissy mood right now! After work today I picked up my friend Jai and whisked us away to MAC to snatch up some SugarSweet for ourselves. Normally it's just easier for me to head to MAC Soho to haul or Macy's on 34th but my mate Martin, who works for Apple, was working the Mall circuit today so instead of our normal haunts we hit the MAC at the mall. Martin is our shadow so we can't go anywhere without him in tow thus we decided to become mallrats so we could kill two birds with one stone, pick Martin up for dinner and snag some MAC.

Such a big mistake. We are so killing Martin, tis his fault we couldn't haul MAC SugarSweet today. Upon arriving at the MAC we noticed that they had the display out for SugarSweet and it only had the Shadesticks on it. So we asked after the rest and you guessed it, nothing in stock yet.

Boo, freaking, hoo! What the hell? To say we were disappointed is an understatement but we did get some yay factor in as we got all of the Shadesticks and I think that's what Jai and I were the most excited about.



Jump ahead to have a look!

I only have my eye on a few other things from the collection so I am happy, at the very least, that they had the Shadesticks because that was honestly high on my list of things to get. I also want to snag Perfect Topping and Sugarshot. My list isn't all that huge so I guess I'm not too devastated. I'm avoiding the glosses like the plague because as one reader mentioned they are seriously nice but with 2-3 uses they are going to be one big mess so it's just not worth it. The lippies aren't exactly all that fabulous so I can safely skip those and the rest of the shadows hold little appeal. I do wish MAC had release a blush or two with the collection.





For me the gems of this collection were the Shadesticks. It's been a while since MAC released Shadesticks and these are some stunning shades. The revamped packaging is pretty slick as well which makes them even more appealing. I wasn't always a lover of Shadesticks but after seeing how easier they make it to apply pigment I started to like them.

Four new shades are released with MAC SugarSweet and one regular catalog shade. Penny is the shade that's already available from MAC and just released in new clothes for this collection.

Cakeshop, which you would think would be the shade of batter or cake, is a frosty green almost olive shade. Wonderful shade and a possible favorite for me but strange name! Lemon Chiffon is a creamy shimmering white gold, another favorite for me. Butternutty, really a crummy, rubbish shade when viewed but swatched it's a gorgeous nude pink that's stunning! Red Velvet is a deeper pink with an almost matte like finish. And finally Penny is a pretty peachy copper shade.








I absolutely love all of the shades and think they are well worth picking up. Correct me if I'm wrong but the price on these has gone up as they are $16.50 USD each but I recall them being a little less? Or maybe not.

I highly recommend grabbing some for yourself as they really do make life easier with shadow application and particularly pigment application. I find I get less fall out and a deeper color pay off when I use a Shadestick prior to applying pigment.

Overall, MAC SugarSweet is the first collection I've been excited about in months and I highly recommend heading over to MAC and having a swatch, you're sure to fall in love with a few of the items available.

I also caved while I was in store and purchased Popster Tinted Lip Conditioner and Tippy Blush. I wasn't too surprised after seeing Hello Kitty in person for the first time that still it failed to wow me.

In closing the Muse thinks the new MAC Shadesticks deserve a Muse Approval for purchase. Likey!



What did you haul from MAC SugarSweet?

Skipped it altogether?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: , , , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Phyrra said...

I'm going to head to the mall this weekend to haul me some SugarSweet. I was going to behave.. but not now :)

March 19, 2009 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger jackieg02 said...

I hauled Perfect Topping, Peppermint Patti, and Lollipop Lovin. Shadesticks don't intrest me much and neither did the glosses. I may go back for an eyeshadow and Saint Germain.

March 19, 2009 at 11:19 PM  
Blogger Inge said...

I'm not a shadestick person, but I have to admit that those are gorgeous. Yay for MAC.

March 20, 2009 at 7:40 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd :-D

LOL I hear ya :-D it's hard to resist!

March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

nice haul jackie! the glosses were a no go for me too...too messy :P

March 20, 2009 at 10:53 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

me either pixie but they kinda make life easier when working with piggies and these are particularly fab colors :-D

March 20, 2009 at 10:54 AM  
Blogger Leane said...

I think the CakeBake looks mettalic like a baking pan, that may have been where they got the inspiration. I really like the color of the CakeBake......
Great review, muse!

March 20, 2009 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi leane!

Good point! It doesn't kinda look like that :-D Cakebake is lovely will make for a fine smokey green eye :)

Thanks hun!

March 20, 2009 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

I'm not even a massive Mac fan but I'm fancying Butternutty!

March 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM  
Blogger Aretha said...

cant wait for this collection to come to the uk! we're always slow in getting mac. :( the lemon chiffon and butternutty shadestick looks gorgeous!

March 20, 2009 at 6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse, could u please post up a swatch of Refined MSF? I'm thinking of getting it.. It looks pretty! =)

March 21, 2009 at 3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the swatches :]

March 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger makeupmag said...

Butternutty, Cakeshop, Lemon Chiffon = MAG's. ^_^

Thanks SO much for the photos and swatches. I've wondered about them. :)

March 22, 2009 at 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi muse !!

what a nice new things from mac !!

i just got my HK mac stash give a boost :P
i couldn't leave the nice things in the store !!!

how are you muse ?

it's very busy up here with school and everything it's really exhausting i can't even do my dailies any more :(

HUGGY !

March 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

emma,

I think even for non mac fans these are rather gorg ;-D

so pretties and spring like!

March 23, 2009 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi aretha!

I know :( It's so freaking delayed :P all the fun goes out of it when it releases later! They are really nice! Great bases :-D

March 23, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi belle!

Absolutely will do so later today or tonight :-D

March 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello anonymous!

my pleasure hun.

March 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey mags!

hehehe! They are so fabs :-D My pleasure hun! You're gonna love 'em!

March 23, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi nadia!

good to hear from you :-D LOL awesome! I indulged in a blush and a lip conditioner from HK when I went to pick this up!

I'm fabulous thanks for asking and you?

awww I totally understand, I'd love more hours in the day :-D

Big Hugs!

March 23, 2009 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger plue said...

now that Red Velvet is a want from me! :D
Cakebake/ Cakeshop is a lovely colour, which I think I don't have :P
And ooh! Butternutty and Lemon Chiffon, sweet pastel-like colours! Me likey! Ah! Penny is gorgeous too!

OMG! I want all of them!

March 27, 2009 at 7:26 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi plue!

isn't it lovely?!

LOL I know! They were a temptation I couldn't resist gorgeous shades!

March 30, 2009 at 12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home