Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Feb 10, 2009

MAC Hello Kitty Collection Photos, Review, and First Impressions

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only makeup junkie alive who fails to feel the excitement for the MAC Hello Kitty Collection.

I'm so lonely, please don't hate me (or hurt me).



New York has had pre-launch after pre-launch of this exciting collection and I've yet to attend a single one.....I'm just not feeling the love for Miss Kitty....

My story started some weeks ago when I was busy witching (exchange that w for a b) about the crazy strange goth look of Miss Kitty's MAC release. Why black? Why god why!

Soon after the Muse decided she'd make up her own MAC Hello Kitty Collection and plea to the mighty gods at MAC to please give us pink and white? No one listened and the fan girls gathered at the gates of MAC Pro hammering the doors down and demanding their gothy black Hello Kitty packaging.

The Muse wept...cold and alone.

Was that too dramatic?

Probably.

But I lurve the dramas!

In all seriousness, MAC Hello Kitty sadly does not excite me however I do have a few odd pieces to share with you today. I will say that the packaging isn't all bad mostly I'm not in love with the swirly bits but I do sorta dig the black but I must emphasize that the entire swirl effect they got going on...mmm not digging it. The palettes are actually quite awesome as they sport Hello Kitty's cute little mug and a nice heavy spray of pink shimmer all over the palette! Fun, fun! Who knew?! However, the swirl design thingyamagee takes away from the palette and just makes it rather cheap looking in my humblest of opinions.

From what I've seen so far online the color selection looks pretty outstanding and I can definitely see myself loving some of these shades if I ever actually venture into a MAC store to sneak a peek. So far I haven't been near a counter or a store as it just hasn't held my interest.

I do wonder to myself if I'm falling off the MAC bandwagon or it's just that I'm not particularly digging MAC Hello Kitty. I do think it's a little bit of both but MAC will always remain near and dear to my heart it's just that it's been a tad bit hit or miss with me lately.

Actually, the moral of the story is, that I went and took my entire MAC Hello Kitty budget and blew it on a Kindle 2...obviously Kindle 2 trumped MAC Hello Kitty in this current stage of my life. However, I think I still might go and wander into MAC and just peek a bit more to see what appeals....I always say you never can tell until you see it for yourself, swatch it for yourself, and finally fall in love with it for yourself. Blogs are great, pics are wonderful, reviews are tops, but nothing quite makes up for just viewing it for yourself and finally making that decision of whether it's a love or a leave.

Without further ado here are a few little pieces that ended up in my possession as the MAC fairy dropped them off at my house recently.

MAC Hello Kitty Eyeshadow Quad in Lucky Tom reminds me of Fafi's release with the lemon (Crème Royal) and orange shade (Paradisco). Following up on these lighter shades are purple (Stylin) and a brown (Lucky Tom). This has to be the strangest mismatch of colors I've seen to date from MAC either that or I'm just not creative. Pairing two tropical shades (which I love by the way even though I already own Paradisco in a single) with a purple and brown completely throws me for a loop. Hello, do we has face charts please because I'm confused what to do next!?







MAC Hello Kitty Lipstick in Cute Ster is actually quite nice for Spring with it's warm peachy base and golden shimmer. Loves this one!





MAC Hello Kitty Blush in Fun & Games is another winner for me as it's a fabulous warm iridescent peach that will be flattering for the warmer weather ahead!




MAC Hello Kitty Lipglass in Fast Friends is sure to please anyone who likes unique shades of lipglass. The color is a nice purple but applies quite sheer aside from sparkling bits of purple shimmer it leaves behind. Should look fab on top of warmer berry shades!





And finally MAC Hello Kitty Nail Polish in Something About Pink which my sister is absolutely loving at the moment. This is a nice hot pink shade that should look fab on piggies this coming Spring and Summer!


Few things that deserved to be mentioned are the fact that, thank god, their are no stickers on the packaging. The design is not a sticker, no peeling off drama, no Dame Edna or Fafi problems here. The design is printed on the compacts, lipsticks, and glosses. Yay MAC! Also I think it's worth mentioning that I really like this style quad for MAC and think they should embrace it with other palettes they release. It's a nice slim line design that's easy to store and great for traveling. I'm enjoying this size and style quite alot!

I'll try not to disappoint, I promise to do my best and drag myself to MAC sometime this week to see if anything else strikes my fancy but be warned I might not be able to ever get over my depression of the MAC Hello Kitty release. Can we rewinds and do it over please?

What are you thoughts?

What have you hauled?

Get me the Muse in the spirit of things!

related posts

Labels: , , ,

40 Comments:

Blogger Phyrra said...

I was so excited by the idea of HK, but then I didn't even buy anything. Partially because I've been splurging on mineral makeup, but partially because I looked at everything and went hmmmm, there's nothing I HAVE to have.

I would have maybe wanted 1 or 2 of the lippies, and small bits of the pigments, but eh, I'm ok without them.

I don't think that HK is as big as MAC thought it was going to be, either, though I think it's due to the economy. It's not sold out yet.

February 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the Fun and Games blush pigmented? I heard that it was chalky and invisible in some cases. My skintone is golden tan.

February 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain! I only ended up with Fresh Brew lipstick (for the packaging) and the gray nail polish.. maybe Kitty Kouture will be better?? :D

February 10, 2009 at 10:34 PM  
Blogger watercoloursky said...

aww yeah I know what you mean about the swirly design, I think it totally takes away from the cuteness. I wasn't a fan of this either until I went to the preview, and started liking it more and more. I think its something about the little details like the pink glitter against the black and the HK imprint in the lipsticks / compacts are drawing me in :)

February 10, 2009 at 10:41 PM  
Blogger jackieg02 said...

I'm honestly not impressed w/this collection either. I can say that I don't want anything. I'll have to check it out in person though. I feel like I should buy something. Lipstick, lipglass...just something...just to have.

February 11, 2009 at 1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Muse, too bad you are not in on the exitement. I very much am!(note to self: remember, am fully grown woman!)
I ordered my haul at my ebay haunt of choice, since I obviously cannot wait til somebody decides to launch it over here. I got Cutester l/s, Fast Friends and She´s got Candy l/g, Tippy blush and Pretty Baby BP.

February 11, 2009 at 3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ohh can't wait for this to launch! We're having more makeup work stations put up, plus we're doing 30 min free makeup for loads of people. We'll be around 10 working at the same time and we'll have people from our event team coming in to create some makeups! All that, and models on a a stage, and hello kitty balloons, and, and... *inhales* AAH! Love it! Btw, is that pink polish near Steamy or Gee Whiz? Would love to know!

And yes, I'm on Twitter now! I thought it would be nice to keep up with you! I'm rocketqueens there. Hugs and kisses!

February 11, 2009 at 3:52 AM  
Blogger Inge said...

I have no idea what a Kindle 2 is, but I hope you like it :)

I plan on picking up a beauty powder and maybe a blush. The rest looks sort of boring.

February 11, 2009 at 5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse! Don't worry dear, I feel no excitement at all about this collection, and I'm totally skipping it!

Lots of hugs!

February 11, 2009 at 7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meh. I can't get it up for either MAC or Hello Kitty anymore, so this collection was like a marriage made in 'Blah' Heaven.

What are your thoughts of the Studio Sculpt collection?

February 11, 2009 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger DaisyChain said...

One of the quads is going on my birthday list, as I can't afford the crazy prices..my Mum's already agreed to order one and put it away as soon as it launches here!
I reckon the only thing I'll get is the lip conditioner as I swear by that stuff and mines currently almost empty...so it's not just an impulse buy,
I might get a lipgloss too, as I like sheer colour but that'll be it. I'm trying not to get caught up in the "omg hello kitty" and waste money on things I won't use!

February 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd!

I think I did the same..just stepped back and said do I really need anything of this stuff!?

I def at least want the pink piggie..but everything else I'm a bit meh on!

I was hearing it sold out on nordies but now shows back in stock...looks like the launch parties did fairly well...I am curious though what turn around MAC seen from it with the economy in chaos!

February 11, 2009 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anonymous

Not chalky at all...showed up well on me but not outrageous so you can prob skip it if you're golden tan as it prob won't be pigmented enough to make much of a different hun!

It reminded me of the peach blush released with the c-shock collection (don't quote me I think it was c-shock)

February 11, 2009 at 3:48 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Nosh

lord I hope KK is nicer but honestly...I'm bust on this :P

How are you!? Missed ya!

February 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Shefali said...

Hey Muse! I'm on board with you. I have not purchased one single thing...I'm not getting sucked in by packaging, and I'm really, really tired of pinks. MAC needs to step it up...

What I'm def waiting for is Kitty Kouture. I decided to check out the Dazzleglasses that are coming with that collection since I love d/g's. I'm also on board with you about MAC being hit and miss lately. Don't fret - some of us are in agreement with you, and I've been a SERIOUS MAC junkie since 2000.

February 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi ' * : . b | u 3 . : * '

ahhh phew glad someone got what I was trying to say there lol!

I admit that the little details are what I admired too such as the pink glitter sprayed on the back. ;)

I do like but not in love with :P

btw did you get my dm on twitter? got the package w00000000t!

February 11, 2009 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey jackie!

I feel the same like I have to buy something at least. I feel like I'll regret not overindulging later on ;)

February 11, 2009 at 4:02 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi nell!
LOL it's ok to be a kid :) enjoy hehehe!

You should have emailed I'd have picked it up for ya!

Nice haul honey! I hope you enjoy it all...it really made me sniffle a bit that I just wasn't as into it as I'd have liked to have been :-(

February 11, 2009 at 4:03 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey linn!!!!!!

whoa awesome! sounds like it'll be busy! Phew! Sounds exhausting hun!

oh wow I dunno I think it's gee whiz but don't quote me :)

YAYAY I'll follow you :)

Hugs miss ya!

February 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi pixie!

it's an ebook reader hehe thanks hun I'm sure my geeky self will adore it :)

I think I want the other blush...and maybe a bp...debating ;)

and the pink piggie for sure!

February 11, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

pao pao! hi miss ya :)

amen someone else not feeling the lurve :P

February 11, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey mandy!

sigh...feel the same...hold me please?

I actually like studio sculpt foundation and concealer wasn't bad either....reviewing soon ;)

February 11, 2009 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey missus! How are you :)

yayaya when's your bday!?

I might want one of the LC myself as they look cute.

lord knows I'm always good for the "OMG it's NEW MAC" brandwagon!

*rolls eyes*

February 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you with regards to packaging. It looks boring! The original Sanrio HK packaging was nicer and more fun. I like the campaign shots though..

I only got the Lucky Tom palette and Most Popular L/S.

February 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm none too crazy about the concealer, personally. I find it wears away throughout the day and (sadly) it isn't water proof; shed some sweat and a few tears and the stuff starts melting (MELTING!) like the Wicked Witch of the West. Oh, what a world, what a world!

Also, off topic, but: what are your thoughts on David Walliams? Hot, or not?

February 11, 2009 at 5:47 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Shefali!

So nice to know I'm not alone here hehe! I agree! I've been kinda off the mac wagon for a while now!

I'm excited about KK but I'm also kinda meh as the price tag is a bit much...nearly 90 for a compact ouchie!


phew glad the fan girls are with me here hehe...I love mac but def seeing alot of rerunning..I'd love more quality and less quantity!

February 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi anonymous

couldn't agree more! Sanrio's original design I'm all about :D

Still have to see it all in person but doubtful I'll be tempted :P

February 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey mandy!

Hmmm...that sucks...I've been setting with a bit of BB fine powder and it seems to be ok although it's not the BEST MOST amazing concealer ever :) I do like the foundation though!

dood....where do you come up with them!? David Williams the poker guy!?

February 11, 2009 at 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Izzy, I'm talking about David 'Laydees Man' Walliams, you damn well know it!

http://www.c-r-y.org.uk/Walliams%20David.jpg

I'm not quite sure what to make of him. Give him a tan and make him lose 3 stone and that's exactly what the erstwhile object of my affections looks like in real life. So confused!

February 11, 2009 at 6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this collection reach here, I'm skipping it. This collection really doesnt interest me. Its been a long time since I ever felt any love for MAC.....

February 12, 2009 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger DaisyChain said...

My birthday isn't till April, and I believe the collection launches here in March, so it's kinda good timing! I've already warned Mum it could get expensive! This is the first collection in ages that I've wanted a quad from! I'm trying to be rational though, I'll probably be dissapointed when it hits stores!

February 12, 2009 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

I feared that who you might be talking about lmao!!!!!!!!!

but isn't he gay!? :-D I simply adore little Britain but I fear the sexy factor doesn't come into play as I can't get over him in the muscle suit.

February 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey missus :)

how are you today!

Happy early bday!

I really wasn't feeling it :( not even the quads :( but I must say that some of the colors are rather fab just the packaging totally made me feel depressed!

February 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I've heard that too, and am not one bit surprised. IDK, if Matt Lucas is out, what's holding Walliams back? Does he really think coming out would damage his comedic career?

Muscle suit? I still can't get over his furry man-titties. I don't know whether to wax them or play with them ever so gently.

February 12, 2009 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q4VFoAvUSI <---muscle suit

LOL I wonder if he feels coming out might damage his amazing comedy routine...perhaps he doesn't want to steal Matt's thunder LMAO! I actually didn't realize that ML was gay until I seen him on late night with Graham Norton and he was discussing be married....!

LMAO play with them ever so gently :) pull them..snap them back! LOL

my fav is Mary getting on stage to see the theme song to Titanic my heart will go on!

February 12, 2009 at 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya. Come to the dark side on non-mac lovers....come...comeee......

Anyway, I am looking at the Previews that have landed in the UK and I'm not bowled over. The merchandise is too expensive, the lipglosses meh - I like 2 lipsticks and one is sold out, I like fun and games blush. I'd like the polish but there's nothing there that I NEED, if you know what I mean!

February 26, 2009 at 5:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey also Musey & Mandy

David isn't gay! He pulls every 18 year old ass there is around. Current gf is almost out of nappies and has a brain the size of a pea. He's quite like George Clooney in that respect - no taste in women.

February 26, 2009 at 5:23 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

ROWS!!!!!!! what is up what is up!

I really let the ball drop on this one...I didn't bother much at all it's all rather meh meh meh!

February 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

LOL thank god! we now know the truth!!!!!

lmao I really thought he was gay!

February 26, 2009 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

PS where did you get your mugu peach foundation!? I must has it!

February 26, 2009 at 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home