Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jan 20, 2009

Pieces of Life: The Currency Edition

Just a friendly note from your Muse about Asian Spring Collections, currency, and other general babblings about saving your money.

I know quite a few of you have recently e-mailed me about how exciting you're finding the Lunasol Spring Collection and I totally agree it's very, very nice. I have my eye on a few items from Lunasol at the moment, Jill Stuart, and a few other high street Japanese brands however I am playing it safe at the moment as the yen is very strong.

At the moment a palette of 5,600 yen will be jacked up at nearly $10 with the current conversion rate. Wince. It's not only USD that's feeling the brunt, if you're converting from Singaporean dollar or sterling at the moment it comes to almost the same amount only off by a mere $1 USD and some change. I do urge you to wait if you're purchasing items that aren't LE at the moment as the conversion rate really does drain the pockets.

This is of course in terms of direct purchasing from Japan and not going through a secondary online shopping party. I noticed that palettes are racing up to $75 USD at certain online shops which I really find intense and a tiny bit absurd. The Muse loves herself some makeup but $75 per a palette...that's a bit much.

Korean Won looks particularly gloomy as well but remains at a 100% return on the US dollar which is perfectly fine in my opinion however I do expect a tiny bit more on my dollar when converting and became a bit spoiled with that aspect but at least I'm not losing money during the conversion which is always a plus.

TWD, SGD, and Sterling are iffy at best. Particularly sterling, as always, converts like rubbish but not too severe.

Well anyway I can go on and on I fear but the moral of the story is at the moment if you're shopping Spring Collections abroad do take into consideration your current conversion rate, stop, think, and ask yourself if you really need it right now or if it can wait until currency conversions are looking a tiny bit better. If it's LE I do suggest snapping it up but if it'll be around you can always wait a bit and get it later on.

Of course, I should take my own advice in this but the Muse is known for wanting instant gratification when it comes to makeup and she fears she'll give in to her urges prior to thinking about it which will bite into a large chunk of her Spring Collection budget! Yak! Groan!

How's your currency converting at the moment?

Yay or Nay?

Tell the Muse!

related posts

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Hi Muse! I can so totally understand your frustrations at the current conversion rates. Nowadays I ask myself is it really worth paying for more given the strong yen? Or should i wait until I can get more out of my dollar? I thought I'd rather wait until the particular brand holds a warehouse sale, then I'll buy my limited edition item then (but that's only because I can sometimes score LE items in Singapore's warehouse sales, heh).

January 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey laura!

grrrr they are converting rubbish lately. All the way around...won, yen, etc...

I ask myself the same thing. It's hard b/c sometimes I just want something right away but it bites into my budget :P

I wish I can say the same in regards to a warehouse sale but sadly the brands I am wanting are either available your side or Japan :)

At the moment everything seems higher in 'pore in all honesty...I was shocked at the prices of skin food which is cheap as day old chips in Korea!

I guess we all have to take a breath and think before we whip out our money :)

January 21, 2009 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't agree more with this post, the Malaysian ringgit is very weak against and foreign currency especially the USD and Yen.
I am holding out on the many spring collections until the exchange rate improves because it's really painful to pay for such jacked up price tags.

Until then I'm just trying to reason with myself very rationally not to spend impulsively :P

January 23, 2009 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi jeng!

it's really sucky at the moment sigh!

It makes me wince having nearly $10 posted on..yak!

I try the same thing hun but sometimes it's so damn hard ;)

thanks for sharing!

hugs!

January 23, 2009 at 3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home