Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jan 19, 2009

Guerlain Ombre Eclat Eye Shadow Primer Review

If you're feeling tired of Urban Decay Primer Potion or you just don't like MAC Paint Pots (like me!) you might want to check out the new Guerlain Ombre Eclat Eyeshadow Primer for your priming needs.


It's a bit expensive but well worth your time.

As far as I know this is the first time that Guerlain has ventured into the primer waters. Not many brands jumped on board the eye shadow primer hype prior to Urban Decay's release of Primer Potion so most people were left using MAC Fluidline or MAC Shadesticks as a prep and prime prior to shadow. Hey, this worked well for years and still does but I won't say I don't have some sincerely major love for my Urban Decay Primer Potion.







Upon Guerlain releasing a primer though I did have to try it for myself as I simply adore Guerlain and I suppose with the release of a shadow primer I was expecting the gates of heaven to flood open...most of the time that happens with every Guerlain release that the Muse is privy to so it's no great surprise that indeed she was touched by an angel after trying out Guerlain Ombre Eclat Eyeshadow Primer.

First of all it's not comparable to paint pots, nor is it anything like Urban Decay Primer Potion. The formulas are vastly different in my opinion and I will do the comparison babbling for you. Obviously Guerlain Eye Shadow Primer is a nice creamy base which could be compared to MAC Paint Pots however it blends easier, isn't as thick as a paint pot's formula, allows better blending for pigments and shadow in my opinion, and intensifies color, all while holding my shadow in place. It's un-comparable to Urban Decay Primer Potion as well considering it's a cream base and not as runny a formula as Primer Potion.








Guerlain Eye Shadow Primer is a nice creamy base that blends easily onto the lid. It comes with it's own mini brush which honestly I find somewhat useless as I'd rather spread it around with my finger however if you're a germ-a-phobe (hey the Muse is! No shame in that!) you'll think the little brush is a life saver. A little bit of product goes a long way at freshening the eye area up a la Benefit Lemon Aid plus prepping for shadow or pigment. It has a hard beige edge which intensifies the color of shadow while it adheres. I don't think any of my primers successfully intensify a color quite like this does. Greens look brighter, purples look deeper, and it just generally makes my shadow pop a fair bit. I think this has to do with the deeper beige of the product as it darkens shadows a fair bit which I find interesting.



I suppose it's debatable that this could perform the same function as a MAC Paint Pot which is much cheaper but honestly I have no real love for MAC Paint Pots so this is ideal for someone like me who wanted something that was easier to blend and helped my shadow remain creaseless for hours at a time. I like the formula much better when compared to a paint pot.

Overall, I will definitely repurchase when I'm finished with this as it's superior in terms of keeping my shadow fresh and long wearing plus offering some concealing benefits as well, allowing my lids to look fresher and less dull. It also blends beautifully well which makes application a snap. Well worth trying out if you're anything like the Muse and not a lover of MAC Paint Pots.

All in all well done on this one Guerlain. The Muse likey!

related posts

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Phyrra said...

I will say, in defense of MAC paint pots. I wore Bare Study underneath of UD's Sellout today. I cried A LOT, all day. My eye shadow still looks amazing, and I was shocked by that.

January 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aww why you crying! Don't cry hun!

;)

I like soft orhe alot but I hate how thick it is and it does crease a fair bit :P

January 19, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

I had to have my cat Quasar put to sleep today. It was the toughest decision I've ever had to make in my adult life. I held her through the process and petted her and talked to her until it was over.

January 19, 2009 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

I'm so sorry hun :( big big big big hugs. I know how hard that is. I hope you're ok. You're in my heart and thoughts.

January 19, 2009 at 5:30 PM  
Blogger Autumn Masquerade said...

Hi Miss Muse,

I hope you are well this lovely Monday!

How has life been for you? I hope you have been well.

Work is finally calming down for me. Amazing how insane it gets when you put things off for 3 months to accomodate a special project.

Thanks for the tip about UD! It quit exploding. Except I decided I didn't really like it because I actually think my eyeshadow wears off faster with it. It kind of feels greasy to me and doesn't seem to like my uber dry skin. So I might give the Guerlain version a whirl instead. I trust your taste. =D Plus you're so kind as to review all sorts of things like concealers and primers!

Other than that, we are just defrosting from the arctic blast we just had last week. I am pretty psyched about tomorrow! Not very happy that I have a meeting during the Inaguration ceremony. Bummer.

I hope the deep freeze hasn't settled over you. I'm also amazed by last week's crash landing in the Hudson river. I've been on those ferries that rescued the passengers. I can't believe how fast they got there.

I ordered both P&J Disney face colors. Already received the Flower and love that pink! Bambi is on back order, but I've been confirmed to receive one. I can wait since I know it's on its way. Lucky you to have enjoyed them for a year already.

You might want to check my blog tomorrow and or Weds evening. I made a Lunasol spring order and the lovely product has arrived in Chicago. It just needs to pass customs and be delivered to me. I ended up with the pink and purple palettes plus the Red Lucent lipgloss. You know me. Can't resist LE red glosses.

Got word from Susan that the Givenchy spring should arrive in stores next week. My partial order is being delivered on Weds, so I'll share the photo love right away with those too.

Must run but many hugs!

Love ya lots!

January 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger miss_waterlily said...

Hi,

I think Guerlain actually had an eye primer a few years ago, with their little gold pots, I can't recall the name right now but its basically the same as their old cream eyeshadows?:-)

January 19, 2009 at 6:27 PM  
Blogger . : * justine * : . said...

This looks interesting but having just found paint pots I might wait for a bit... So far I haven't had any issues with creasing but we'll see as I go back to work tomorrow!

January 19, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Blogger Vichaya said...

Now, you just got me a big lemming!!!

Sorry for your cat, Phyrra...
My dog's also getting old. I can only hope he will live as long as he can. I just don't want to think about the day he's gone. :(

January 20, 2009 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey bets!

Sorry for the delayed reply :) I sure hope you had a good Monday and are having a happy Tuesday! I'm feeling quite good today and weepy with our brand new president in office...!!!! I wasn't sure whether to weep in joy or bounce around and shout my happiness!

Lucky you with work slowly down...here it's just starting to pick up the pace as our renewal season is fast approaching!

My pleasure on UD wow really? It's my HG!

I think you'll like the Guerlain version as it's almost powdery when it dries down but feels quite good on even on dry lids!

It's my pleasure :) I'm so glad some of my idiotic ramblings are helpful!

I'm very sad that we have had so much snow..it must be coming from you to us hehe!

Sorry about the meeting today sure is a day you'd want to be watching the telecast live somewhere on the Internet. I cried when he got out of the car and just walked waving....it was an amazing moment..I feel like he's my next door neighbor or someone I can sit down to talk to and have him listen to me...can't quite say the same for President Bush!

I'm fascinated that everyone was ok during that crash...truly a miracle isn't it!?

Yayyyy good hauling on P&J hun! I got them upon first release in Japan and was quite happy they popped up within the US!

I look forward to hearing about Lunasol Spring but it's a bit rich for me at the moment...not feeling the $10 extra charge with the yen being so strong :( Hells yes on the red glosses :) I am in the process of getting and order from Taiwan and after that I'll be adjusting my Spring budget for KATE, Lavshuca, and a few other items. I do so want to indulge in Lunasol but JS is on my hit list as well so I may skip.

How are you doing on your Spring budget so far? Strangely enough I haven't spent hardly any of what I set aside for collections this year which is good as MAC HK hits soon and even though I rant I still feel the need to indulge!

Is she at Sephora Times Square still??? I should really visit and introduce myself outside of a phone call or a quick visit to the saks counter :-)

My order from Givenchy should arrive by the end of the week...looking forward to getting those blushes..they look divine!

HUGSSSSSSSS
love ya!

January 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello miss waterlily

please excuse my delayed reply :)

I don't remember that did they? Hmm! Must google around to see them for myself ;) sounds interesting!

January 20, 2009 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello asiyakei!

So sorry for the delayed reply. Glad you're enjoying PP's...I'm not much of a big fan :) but I do like one shade that I use a fair bit!

I look forward to hearing how they last for you!

Hugs!

January 20, 2009 at 6:18 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello Vichaya

Sorry for the delayed reply :) LOL! It's quite good and worth testing out for yourself!

Aww don't think like that. I wish your dog a healthy life :) I have two dogs myself so I can totally understand your love for them :)
Hugs!

January 20, 2009 at 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you find that this primer still allowed for shadows to crease? I got this beautiful primer, mostly in part of your review, it is lovely, but I still find that my shadows crease...maybe I'm doing something wrong?

March 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi anonymous

apologies for the delayed reply.

Not at all. kept shadows in place very ell! Hmmm you can try applying a bit of powder on top to set it or maybe a bit of UDPP if you have some laying around :-D weird suggestion but could help!

March 23, 2009 at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home