Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

May 20, 2009

DHC Rose the Beauty: DHC Shiny Color Base Q10 Review

One day, not today but one day soon, the Muse will come to terms with the fact that we never, ever get the good stuff in the US. For example did you know that DHC introduced Rose the Beauty Collection within Asia but not within the US? Proceed to go right ahead and stamp your feet and cry, the Muse did.

I'm suck a sucker for anything that's rose related in terms of cosmetic and skincare! I recently hauled some of the DHC Rose the Beauty Collection one item of which I'll be bringing you a review of today!


Jump for it!

So far I've been testing out plenty of yummy goodies from the DHC Rose the Beauty Collection and loving it but one item I'm utterly disappointed in is DHC Shiny Color Base Q10. Ew no likey.

Few things to know before I tell you all about this base. My skin is rather dull at the moment, it's looking drown out from lack of sleep, change of weather, etc...it's also terribly dry too at the moment since it's in that adjustment period between wanting to be a bit oily and still wanting to be dry because of the cooler air.

On with the review!

The entire Rose the Beauty Collection comes housed in some sincerely cute packaging. The base is packaged in a tiny rose pink color bottle with a squeeze top tip for simple, mess free application and a sweet little rose shaped top. The sweetness ends with the packaging.




Really disappointed in this one.

It's available in three shades and I choose Shiny. Shiny being for oily skin types but a pink shade that I deemed suitable for my skin tone. Now the problem wasn't the skin type selection I made at all but just the general formula and feel of the product.

Don't quote me on this but I believe it's an SPF 30 which is rather fabulous for one small base. The product is used as a base, prep prior to foundation. It contains Q10 to repair skin and is an anti-aging ingredient.

I admit that I expected it to smell of roses so I was slightly disappointed it wasn't. Now mainly I didn't like the formula on my dull skin, it looked strangely iridescent. The shade is a creamy beige, far from pink and I was hopeful it would lighten, brighten, and erase dullness but for the most part it does nothing of the sort which, in it's defense, wasn't promised anyway. But I have come to expect Japanese bases to brighten my skin up. The formula contains a multi-color pearl granule and this in itself could be why I didn't like it since this casts an eerie glow on my face and makes my already full face look even fuller eep! Not a good look. On top of this it sits on top of my skin rather than sinking in and absorbing fully, yak!




For the most part the overall formula was what disappointed most. It felt terribly wrong going on and proceeded to make me look even more washed up than I was already looking. I was already dull to begin with so this just added to that washed up, tired look. The entire point of a good base is to prep skin well for makeup and offering a good, flawless working canvas for foundation. This did none of that.

Sadness. Really wanted to love this but just wasn't feeling it!

Anyone try anything from the DHC Rose the Beauty Collection?

Loving it?

Tell the Muse!

I got my haul of rose goodness from my favorite online shop Imomoko

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger fuzkittie said...

I was disappointed in this one as well, and equally disappointed in the under eye brightener... As much as I love the packaging, the quality just wasn't there! :/

May 20, 2009 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger aichaku-愛着 said...

i got the same primer but in beige and also the loose powder. i'm actually liking them both alot. i don't have the same issues you faced. it seemed to sink into my skin good and nice. maybe cos i have drier skin?

May 20, 2009 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi fuzkittie!

I'm so glad I didn't buy the eye brightener I had a suspicion it would stink! I brought the gel foundation and it's nice but not loving that either.

def love the packaging just not loving the contents :P

May 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi aichaku!

I def have dry skin but no lucky :P maybe the beige is better than the pink? Did you get the gel foundation too? if so did you like it?

the primer just seemed kinda meh for me :P must keep testing :D

May 21, 2009 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger aichaku-愛着 said...

i didn't get the foundation. i'm not sure about the difference btw pink & beige though.

May 22, 2009 at 6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse, since i read in this post that you like roses, might I suggest DHC Bulgarian Rose? I haven't tried it, just read about it in a forum is all. It's supposed to make you smell like roses and can aid in healthy skin. It's taken orally, gel capsule form. It's made also for people who have problem with their body odor and those who have abnormalities with their sweat or some such thing.. I was thinking, this might be good for the gym!! imagine oozing all those sweat while working out and still smell like roses!! oh, and it makes your breath smell like roses too. i think that's a pretty neat idea.. haha!!

May 24, 2009 at 9:52 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi anonymous

i heard of these :-D

LOL that's funky! sweaty and rosy LOL how odd!!!!! :-D

The concept sounds darn interesting. DHC has a few of these products on the Japanese site. Too bad they didn't catch on here!

May 27, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home