Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jan 12, 2009

Reader's Request: Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara Review

Since it's debut on my blog a year or so ago, Fairy Drops Mascara (Fairy Drops Mascara Review)is the source of much e-mail to my inbox. The Muse likes to think she's the one who created it's cult following among follow diseased Asian cosmetic collectors like herself but she knows she's not that important.


Recently a reader asked me to review Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara because she felt it was so very similiar in style to Fairy Drops Mascara and easier to obtain. Far be it for the Muse to say no to such a sweetly asked favor.

So here is my review of Rimmel Sexy Curve Mascara......

Before I begin my review it deserves to be mentioned I haven't exactly seen this available outside the British market as of yet. I don't follow Rimmel that closely but I honestly haven't noticed Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara in any of my local drugstores. I have mine for about a month or so now? Maybe less? My best friend Lib who lives in London sent over a box of items for me for Christmas with her husband who was here visiting last month and inside was this mascara.



Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara is a good dupe for Fairy Drops Mascara in applicator design as it has the same shape and style. The applicator is plastic and has three curved layers meant for pulling the lashes out and upwards for a "sexy" curl. It does give volume, does curl, and does offer nice length so it succeeds in just about everything it promises.


When compared to Fairy Drops the "curves" of the applicator are not nearly as large and I felt like I obtained a more natural look with it where as with Rimmel Sexy Curves my look was more of a false lash look. The formula is thick but it also manages to feel light once it's on so it isn't weighting my lashes down. I honestly won't say if it kept my curl all day but I will say a majority of the day it looked lovely on.

I was surprised to hear the reviews on MUA as it was quite wrongfully thrashed in my opinion and only 3.2 out of 5 stars was a surprise and shock to me as I didn't think it was half bad for Rimmel. The formula isn't waterproof so much ranting was made about how it flaked and smudged but I didn't experience either thankfully. I'm quite used to wearing waterproof mascara so I always expect the worst with non waterproof formulas but this wore well all day without raccoon eyes popping up!

I'd personally purchase it again once I was out as it is indeed a solid dupe of Fairy Drops Mascara, easier to obtain, and cheaper too (believe it runs around £3-£4).

I'm rubbish at before and after shots when it comes to mascara but this is the best I could do!

Before

After

And yes, before you ask, Rimmel Sexy Curves Mascara is Muse Approved for purchase. It does what it promises for a value price. Can't beat that!



Questions?

Comments?

Love it?

Tell the Muse!

related posts

Labels: , , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Phyrra said...

I've had hit or miss luck with Rimmel Mascara. Good to know another good one is out there ;)
Right now I'm using my MAC Pro Lash Mascara and the Bare Escentuals Magic Wand Brushless Mascara. Both make me happy, though I wasn't liking the Pro Lash that much.

January 12, 2009 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

Its available at Wal Mart. Last time my mom and I went, she asked me to pick out a mascara for her, and since she always wants sexy lashes like her daughter *hee* I figured she might as well have a mascara with the word sexy in the name! My favourite for volume right now is Voluminous...it does what I wanted Lash Blast to do!

January 12, 2009 at 10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse,

I quite like the look of this mascara on you. Your photos are great for demonstrating the effect. Thanks!

January 12, 2009 at 10:53 PM  
Blogger Shefali said...

Hey Muse! I saw this on Friday at my CVS and was curious about it. So funny that you reviewed it!

January 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh muse I am afraid I was one who bashed this on MUA I found it terrible and quite a hard brush (i tend to poke myself in the eye alot) and after 2 hours it had smudged everywhere (not a good look on a 10 hour shift. Glad you got along well with it
hope your ok

vicky

January 13, 2009 at 6:53 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd.

ditto. I don't purchase much rimmel but the mascaras are mostly a miss with me a majority of the time.

I'm so pleased you are enjoying the be brushless. I don't like pro lash all that much either :P
mac does everything right accept mascara.

January 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey sarah!

thanks for the heads up hun.

Awwww hehe. rimmel voluminous?

January 13, 2009 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anonymous !

Thanks hun! I'm always rubbish at before/after mascara shots. I'm so glad you found the review/pics helpful :)

January 13, 2009 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

morning Shefali!

Awesome..someone just mentioned walmart too...I haven't seen it around yet here but I imagine it'll pop up.
what was the price in CVS?

January 13, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi vicky!

lol terrible cheeky girl! but you're right it's difficult to work with and has that scary you'll poke your eye wand lol!

aside from that I liked it. I rarely have a prob with smudging or flaking with it though thankfully.

Not too, too bad for the price I'd say and I'd buy again for sure...but I like WP I find the formula a bit better for some reason but it's not too bad.

Sorry it didn't work for you hun :(

I'm ok and you!?

Hugs!

January 13, 2009 at 9:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vicky is good and at the moment diggin the colossal lash volume thingy as well as eyeko mascara. Me thinks I will stick to the eyeko you cant go wrong with it apart from they dont do a blond shade BOOOOOO

vicky

January 13, 2009 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Muse,

They have this mascara at Walmart and Walgreens (the Wals have it, I think!) It's around $6 USD and I was tempted to pick it up but most times Rimmel mascaras fail me. I'll definitely check it out when I need a new mascara.

January 13, 2009 at 11:05 AM  
Blogger Ghoulina said...

I was eyeing this at the drugstore the other day...now that it's Muse approved..I think I might go back and pick it up hehe ^_^

January 13, 2009 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi vicky

glad to hear it :) Ooo never tried the eyeko one...next on my list to try out :)

January 13, 2009 at 3:49 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dao!

I must be missing it as I haven't seen it around at all ;)

me too don't feel bad ;P the fact that it's not WP probably sways quite a few people! I do think it's a fab dupe for Fairy Drops though! if nothing else!

January 13, 2009 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey ghoulina!

If you're cool with non WP you'll like it..it's really not bad imho! ;)

If you do tell me whatcha think!

January 13, 2009 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

Mmm Puffy loves teh volume! I know I would always bash L'oreal to death but they did something right when they created Voluminous!

I would try Sexy curves for myself if I wasn't so damn turned off by plastic brushes...

January 13, 2009 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

I dunno I'm scared if Loreal after my run in with the other mascara I tried...infalliable? Forgot the name!

yea I'm kinda over plastic brushes too especially ones that don't work ffs!

January 13, 2009 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

I used to be too! I still refuse to touch any of their other stuff, but I love the voluminous liner and mascara and the HiP liner! I should have the reviews up before the week is over...

January 14, 2009 at 1:34 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey sarah!

the powder hip liner?! :) *looks hopeful*

January 15, 2009 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger GirlyGal said...

Ooooohhh!! This is tempting and not too large an indulgence. I'll have to give it a try! Glad you reviewed this, Muse!

January 15, 2009 at 6:10 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya girlygal :)

not a bad price eh ;) My pleasure hun!!!!

January 19, 2009 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger throughraindrops said...

i always find i either hate or love rimmel products love this once i got the knack of it also loving their lasting finish liquid foundation right now

January 26, 2009 at 4:35 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey randon!

I mostly fall into the dislike category...I never really met any rimmel I liked ;)

but this was quite good.

I was curious about the LF foundation for a while so if you're loving it maybe I better try it out!

January 26, 2009 at 4:41 PM  
Blogger Porcelaine said...

forgetting about the price, which is better, or has a better result? fairy drops or rimmel. and which one is better at applying in terms of not getting all over your eye?

April 3, 2009 at 10:27 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi porcelain.

I like fairy drops better. as for getting all over your eye that would be about your own technique when applying mascara I would guess?

But neither got all over my eye.

Hope this helps!

April 7, 2009 at 1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home