Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jul 30, 2009

Smashbox Reign Collection Review and Swatches


"The Smashbox Reign Collection is inspired by the ruling era of the English Tudors—an imperial court mired in salacious scandal and royal indulgence. The products featured in this collection are luxe, sexy, and indulgently sensorial, giving a glimpse into the extravagant lifestyle of royalty..."

Actually I think Smashbox was thinking "Oh my gawd that Jonathan Rhys Meyers is the hawtness let's base a collection around all that eye candy!" Or at least that's how interpenetrated it. The Muse has a one track mind when it comes to loving me some JRM.


Jump ahead for the review on the smashing Smashbox Reign Collection!

Oh baby I'm a need the two palettes that were released with this collection so stay tuned for the review on those but for now I'm going to show you three pieces from the collection that created this rather awesome, elegant, super easy look for me yesterday.

Check it.

I got my hands on the Smashbox Reign Jet Set Palette which is hello all kinds of gorgeous. Really they put alot of effort into this collection so props and applause to Smashbox. The palette is a slick faux leather affair with a flip top, full size mirror, two wells with liner duos, a mini liner brush, and a "tudor" Smashbox themed coat of arms design. The palette is quite elegant, don't expect cheap here, it's a very nice piece of palette and alot of love and consideration was put into the design, likey! This particular palette houses two wells with snap closures. Inside each well a duo of Smashbox Jet Set Gel Eye Liners await you. You'll get a deep, dark rich chocolate brown and light brown on one side and a golden metallic bronze and light metallic bronze brown on the other. I'm not the biggest fan of Jet Set liner as a prefer Smashbox regular cake liner from yesteryear but one thing I do love about Jet Set is the ability to use it as a shadow. The colors aren't deeply pigmented so they blend wonderfully on the eye for a sheer wash of color or build it up for deeper color payoff. I got creative with this palette to create my look as I didn't want to go all boring on you and just line my eyes using it. To create my look below I used the liners on the right side of the palette, the bronze brown and golden bronze. I placed a bit of the brown on my lid and blended out and proceeded to layer the golden bronze on top. Presto done. I lined my lower waterline with tons of the deeper chocolate brown on the opposite of the palette to set off my brown eyes. It's a very simple, understated yet incredibly elegant look. Granted I'm doubtful that Smashbox had any intention of creating such a look with the collection but I was feeling all creative. It's worthy of a pick up in my opinion as it's travel friendly (hello four liners in one chic case! I likey you to come with me on holiday!) plus the shades all work as a shadow as well.
























Now my new best friend is the Smashbox Doubletake Lip Color Pencil. This really beefed up my look with a bold splash of rich red on my lips. Brace yourselves for a moisturizing lip experience as Smashbox has perfected this one. The pencil is dual sided with a liner on one end and a lip color on the other. I braced myself for a rather blah experience as normally pencils aren't all that fantastic. However, I was simply shocked at how juicy, moisturizing, glossy, and pigmented the lipcolor side was! Whoa! I didn't use the liner but I did use the lipcolor all over my lips for my look below and as you can see it contrasts amazingly well with my more subdued eye look.












Finally I tried the one gloss that was released with the collection. Again very elegant packaging as this has a tiny charm attached to the gloss with the Smashbox coat of arms emblem. Slightly disappointed with this as the color quite reminds me of the shade released with Smashbox Muse. I personally prefer the bolder look they decided on with the duo lip pencil as this more subtle nude peach is a tad boring however I imagine it'll go very well with the bolder eye palettes that I hope to review for you soon!












Overall, the Smashbox Reign Collection definitely has royalty stamped all over it. It's a tad on the expensive side for Smashbox but I must say I'm quite impressed with the packaging, the overall look, and the beautiful shade selections. If you're looking for a rich makeup look this season do settle on Smashbox Reign. Loving all over it at the moment and Muse Approving it for purchase.



The Muse's Smashbox Reign Look







So far it's a love!

Labels: , , ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Krasey Beauty said...

My gosh Izzy, those lips are hot hot hot! I love this look on you!

July 30, 2009 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger AskMeWhats said...

eeeekkk Muse, the packaging is gorgeous and they look wonderful on you!!!

July 30, 2009 at 11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse!

This is a great look for you -- very elegant and sophisticated! You're totally rocking the eyes and lips!

Man, my poor bank account always suffers during the Fall releases. I love bold, dark lips and I need yet *another* bold, dark lip color like I need a friggin' hole in the head . . . yet me thinks that lovely little doubletake pencil will end up in my shopping cart come my next Sephora run. =P

Thank you for the review and hope you have a good night!

July 31, 2009 at 12:19 AM  
Anonymous laura R said...

Muse, you look gorgeous! these colours really suit your natural beauty. i can just see ya in a big ol' Tudor gown and headdress! :)
drat. i love those liners but i have other lemmings to deal with first.

btw i am bummed because most of the Avon/Mark celestial stuff i ordered was sold out by the time my order was filled. (about 7 days, cuz it went to my rep this time.) does that happen to you very often?

July 31, 2009 at 8:23 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aw thanks hun :-D *hugs*

July 31, 2009 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aw thanks nikki you're lovely!

July 31, 2009 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

awwww thanks anonymous you're lovely!!!!!!!!!!! :-D sorry about your wallet lol!

The pencil is really worthy of a pick up loving it! Such hawt fall lips yummies!

July 31, 2009 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

lol laura aw shucks thanks :D How are you? long time no speak!

ew that stinks. I haven't had that problem but it's possible that they sold out fast as avon as been slashing prices majorly on older stuff. Check ebay!? bet it's cheap on there :D

July 31, 2009 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger Mollie said...

Could I have everything?

Including Johnathan? ;)

I agree with everyone else; these colors look smashing on you.

July 31, 2009 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Leane said...

This is such an amazing look. I love how it allows you to get creative. I agree that the gloss looks just like the other MUSE swatch. I think they should have gone mulberry or plum with the gloss. This is my FAV look on you so far. Very regal! I want this WHOLE collection so badly!
Great review and pics.

July 31, 2009 at 4:20 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

lol finch I'd skip everything and just go for him! yums!

July 31, 2009 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi leane!

Thanks so much :-D You made my day! I must say it's really a great one. I'd so go for a mulberry or a plummy gloss! that'd be wonderful!!!!!!!

July 31, 2009 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

You look gorgeous! i have to get this collection!

August 1, 2009 at 1:18 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

OMG! How did I miss out this.. This is so Anne Boleyn's look. LOL! Gorgeous Izzy!

August 1, 2009 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger Crissy K said...

Whoa!!! Look at you. That lippie looks Amazing on you. I'm so lemming it and the blush too :)

August 1, 2009 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Mollie said...

Oh, if only. ;) Love him.

I'm also SilkFinch by the way, but I don't know if my Blogger account changed all the comments retroactively or not. You can call me Mollie too, as it's my name. LOL.

August 2, 2009 at 3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not only it's a love and you look great too. the lips look especially sexy. i am lemming the eye shadow palette but... not sure if i neeed it. probably not. haha

August 2, 2009 at 6:50 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi christina :-D

aw thanks!

Looking forward to maybe seeing a look you do with it!?
:D

August 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aw thanks ann blush :-D thanks so much!

August 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

lol hi mollie :-D and I know what you mean as my gaccount gets all wonky with nicks :D

August 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

jojoba me too and thanks!!!!!!!! :-D I'll be doing a review shortly on the eye palettes too!

August 3, 2009 at 4:40 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aw thanks chrissy!

I was wondering about the blush...it seems meh...hmm maybe I should order it!

August 3, 2009 at 4:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home