Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jun 30, 2009

Rimmel Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation Review


For the most part my skin is quite dry however Summer I do have a case of oily skin that crops up on my forehead and the sides of my nose. For those days I'm always looking for the next best thing to keep that oil in check. Last year, I quite fell in love with Urban Decay Mattifying Powder which allowed me to tote around a rather pretty purple palette with powder inside to help battle the mirror-like shine that cropped up on my forehead.

This year, taking things a step further, I decided to look for various oil controlling foundations to fight the good fight against shine, oil, and Summer humidity. My quest led me to Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation and yes I heard a few recs yelled at me about this one and see? I listened and got me some on the double.

Did it work at battling my oily forehead?

You'll find out after the jump!

Rimmel Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation is meant to offer coverage and a mattifying finish to allow skin to remain fresh and oil free. With it's price tag of $5.99 or so it seemed like a great budget friendly option for matte, fresh skin.

A few reasons I didn't like it....

The formula feels quite moisturizing which is fantastic as my dry skin sucks it up. But what's the point of purchasing a mattifying foundation that's moisturizing? Shouldn't it dry down to a matte finish? Hmmm. It didn't really have a matte finish and for the most part feels and works like a tinted moisturizer as the coverage is quite sheer. As for controlling oily skin I didn't feel much of a difference in that area either.




As with most drugstore brands I found the shade contained a heavy dose of beige which wasn't particularly flattering on my skin. The formula and texture of the foundation is very nice and blends easily but the finish is more of a dewy, moist one rather than it's promise matte one.

Overall, Rimmel Stay Matte Clarifying Matte Foundation offers decent, light Summer coverage but don't expect it to battle your oily skin, that might be asking too much.

Who might like this?
  • Anyone who likes a light, sheer foundation for Summer wear and tear.
  • Those who like a moisturizing foundation.
  • Anyone seeking a cheap, inexpensive foundation that can mimic the formula and texture of a tinted moisturizer.

Anyone a fan?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Retrodiva said...

I was actually planning on grabbing some of this next week, but if it's just a tinted moisturizer, I'll pass. I need something to help me with my oil slick face.

July 1, 2009 at 9:13 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi meredith



just not so great at mattifying my skin....mmm :P

wish it was but it was more of a nice sheer foundation than a matte one!

July 2, 2009 at 9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this foundation worked wonderful my face didnt look oily and it actually helped any acne i had to clear up unlike other foundations

July 20, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home