Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jun 24, 2009

Musings of the Day: Take It and Make It Better, Drugstore Cosmetics

I know alot of you enjoy drugstore brands (within the US that is) but I haven't really been on board with them myself. I haven't caught drugstore fever since I was in high school and rarely do I buy much makeup in drugstores. Up until I started my blog I rarely even ventured into a drugstore to buy much of anything. Well, times have changed since many requests come in daily for cheaper makeup options so I head to various drugstores to see if I can find decent makeup items.

Today, I have a Cheap Beauty Challenge post that's upcoming in a few. As I was typing it out last week I realized something that could get me excited about drugstore cosmetics. This in turn gave me my idea for today's Musings of the Day.


If you're not a fan of drugstore cosmetics or you like them but wish they were a bit better this question should appeal.

How would you make drugstore cosmetics better?

What would make you want to buy more from your local drugstores?

Packaging? Pigmentation? Price?

Think about your answer and reply below!

Click for my reply!

I thought about this and as much as I wanted to say PACKAGING! I realized one thing that would be even better than packaging would be online advertisement. When you walk into a drugstore it's rather nifty that they have various displays with new collections however have you ever noticed you can't find ANY info about these releases on the brands websites? Take for example the Maybelline Focus on Gold Collection (I'm reviewing this in the Cheap Challenge). I can't find a word about it anywhere on the Maybelline site.

How great would it be if all these little collections they release would have better online push. Maybe e-mail alerts? Or a website for the collections? Something that allows us to know that the releases are out. Most time collection releases are rarely pimped out online. I read someone mention that the Diana Keaton Collection was never on the L'Oreal site and when they called L'Oreal even the company didn't know about it.

I think, possibly, US drugstore brands would be more appealing if I could get more info about releases and what was released with the collection, etc....at this point it's more of a "surprise!" whenever you walk into the drugstore.

Packaging definitely would help too but online advertisement would be even better.

What do you think?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Testers!! I know most drugstores have really good return policies, but sometimes finding the time to return things becomes such a hassle.

I agree that online adverts would be nice too.

June 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger jkim said...

i think my main thing is the pigmentation. gawd, why do they keep making salmon-colored foundation?!

June 24, 2009 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Marie. said...

I agree wth packaging! If they had something more catchy looking or if their palettes for exaple had closed lids like the MAC quads instead of flimsy lids that can easily snap off.

And pigmentation! I love HIP because of how pigmented it is, but unfortunately not all drugstore brands are that pigmented.

June 24, 2009 at 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Chelsea said...

I've tried to love drug store makeup, I really have. What keeps me away is quality and ingredients. I believe Almay is the only brand that doesn't test on animals, but their line is kind of blah. As for ingredients, I appreciate quality ingredients at the top of the ingredients list, and drugstore brands don't ever seem to have them.

Once you've gotten used to prestige brands, it's hard to go back. I would rather buy one beauteous, finely milled, smartly packaged Nars blush than three or four drug store blushes. Just swiping your finger across the top of each type testifies to the difference in quality.

June 24, 2009 at 7:40 PM  
Anonymous Paige said...

Animal testing is a HUGE factor for me and why I shun most drugstore brands. If more companies eliminated animal testing, they'd probably get my business. Until them, I'll stick with ethical cosmetics.

June 24, 2009 at 8:21 PM  
Anonymous MandyP said...

Overall, US drugstore brands have nothing on their East-Asian brethren, quality-wise. Don't get me wrong; I'm often consistently surprise by the quality of many drugstore products here in the states, but that might simply be because I've never lived or shopped in Korea or Japan.

Also, I've never understood why drugstores can't be bothered with actual testers for their merchandise; too much mess/too many headaches, peut-etre?

June 24, 2009 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger jackieg02 said...

In my eyes, I feel pricing sometimes. Take mascara, drugstore I'll spend 8-10 dollars most of the time and it'll be crap. Whereas higher end I'll spend maybe 18-20 and I know it'll work and last and look great. And the same goes for eyeshadow, foundation, lipsticks. Higher end brands I can swatch them or maybe get a foundation sample to see if it matches my skintone. Not with drugstore. I can't tell you how much money I have spent trying to get a drugstore foundation to match my skintone.

June 24, 2009 at 10:23 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey tammy

yes please that would be great :-D
I think that most ds's give me a hard time about returns so really testers would so help!

June 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi jean!

yes I know and beige base ones EW!

June 30, 2009 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

def marie.

packaging would be incredible :-D

HIP is rather great but some products I find hard to blend as it's major fall out :P

But yes more pigmentation would be incredible :(

June 30, 2009 at 9:09 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Chelsea

ditto, I try really hard. I couldn't agree more. Once you're a lover of quality makeup it's difficult to go back to ds and love it. It's a major different all around!

June 30, 2009 at 9:10 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi paige :0D

you're a good person! Not many people take note.

plenty of high end choices that thankfully do not test on animals :D

June 30, 2009 at 9:11 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey miss mandy

I think it's about mess. For example Target's NP Set, etc...collections. Those have testers and gee what a disaster! I go into Target and wince when I see the displays :P

maybe when people grow up and know how to take care of items a bit better we can have testers :-D

June 30, 2009 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey jackie!

Ditto. I'd rather just go for the extra 10 bucks and get something that works. I've never successfully gotten a good match for my foundation in a ds brand you aren't the only one!

June 30, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home