Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jun 29, 2009

Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Review

When will the day arrive when you'll walk into a drugstore (within the US) and have a selection of foundations that aren't all predominately beige? Porcelain? Oh yes we have the shade with hints of beige. Light? Yes, of course we have it with a base of beige! Medium? Absolutely, it's here in stock with a bit of beige.

I feel like every single drugstore foundation is beige, beige, beige. Ugh! I find beige terribly unflattering in my foundation. It makes my skin look dull and gross. I recently got super excited about Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse as it looked quite good. I remember being particularly delighted with the UK release of this foundation however I do admit to getting lazy and just ended up going to the drugstore ahead of doing the abroad purchasing.


What I ended up with was another beige foundation that'll end up in the graveyard of unwanted drugstore crap!

Click your heels and jump for the review.

Maybellime Dream Liquid Mousse sounds like an ideal foundation as it promises an airbrush finish. Airbrush? No way! Want. Yes, well, whether or not I actually got an airbrush finish remains to be seen.

The moral of the story is as always I'm disappointed with drugstore foundation. Why I try I'll never know. I admit that one of the main reasons I purchased this was because the interesting packaging intrigued me. I'm such a packaging junkie. The bottle is very well designed with a pump dispenser, a cap to cover the dispenser, and a rather elegant glass bottle that houses the foundation. Quite nice and does make it rather worthy of a look at.






Of course, hearing airbrush makes it equally tempting. I got the shade Light 2 and it's pretty much beige, beige, oh and beige! The color is not flattering in the least and after carefully looking through the other shades those are pretty much quite beige too including Light 1. So here in lays one problem.




But I was determined to make it work for me. Application should have been medium to full since the formula is quite creamy and pigmented with a bit of a runny consistency that could sometimes prove unforgiving for me. Great we got a base of beige, a runny consistency, and coverage that's pretty much sheer. Strangely enough coverage seems quite sheer to me. I expected so much more but for the most part, once in place, the coverage isn't anything you'll want to write home to your mum about. I shouldn't really rant coverage as I like a sheer foundation anyway.

The good news is the finish is decent. I don't have a large pores but I'm taking a wild guess that this may look quite nice on someone who used a good primer and has larger pores. The finish isn't airbrushed by any means but it does soften my face. It's not flawless really but just healthy, very soft looking, quite nice surprisingly. I think I could actually like this if it weren't for the terribly unflattering beige base. On a follow up note the product only stays on for about an hour at most and quickly fades away. Not good. I like my foundation to last at least 4-5 hours. This pretty much faded after an hour at most.

Mmmm Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse has a ways to go before it becomes my dream foundation that much is for sure.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I tried a sample of Dream Satin Mousse, the UK version and it's significantly better. It feels like a tinted moisturizer and has some yellow pigmentation to it. The U.S version is a different animal altogether.

June 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i hear a lot of good things about revlon colorstay. the bottle looks good but no pump! still worth a try.

June 30, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks goodness...I'm so happy someone feels the same way I do. Beige DOES NOT flatter everyone (and wherever I go, people always suggest a light beige foundation for me. Ugh!).
I am fair with rosey and yellow undertones, and I like to go for something that's a rosey or an almost peachy color (an ivory is what I would wear from a drugstore- if I can find a good one).
But when I put on light beige it does the same thing: It dulls my complexion and makes it look gross! It also seems to age me.
Anyway, thanks for the post...I now know to avoid this.

- Miss D

June 30, 2009 at 2:02 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

dao must get my hands on it :-D

June 30, 2009 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

giselle will have to peep at it :-D

June 30, 2009 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

miss d don't feel bad everyone always recs me beige colors. It's the worst. I'd prefer something with a rosy undertone or peach or if possible a bit of lightness. but nope everyone recs me beige. I hate beige it's so unflattering and makes my skin look DULL!

and yes def ages me too!

Why, oh why do they want to stick us with beige?!

June 30, 2009 at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home