Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jan 13, 2009

MAC Dame Edna First Impressions, Product Photos, and Swatches

My deepest, sincerest apologies for being off the MAC bandwagon lately. Hate me much? Please don't. Your Muse was one for collecting everything and anything MAC related but lately I haven't really been thrilled with much of anything but I am slowly gaining ground and MAC Dame Edna appealed greatly.



It was probably the lilac packaging that first caught my attention. All that light purple packaging just thrills me to bits and pieces which is why when I originally seen the MAC Dame Edna promo images I nearly fell off my chair. But I do ask myself...will MAC ever learn? Turns out the packaging is indeed gorgeous but again with the freaking stickers! Grrrrrrrr! Upon opening the glosses and lipsticks for the first time and simply sliding them out of their boxes, the stickers are already peeling off! MAC, have we learned nothing at all from Fafi's release!?

Ok, rant over. I shall say no more.

Aside from my beef with the peeling stickers I do so believe that Dame Edna has alot of nice items and plenty that are must haves in my humble of humblest opinions although two items I think are avoidable are the eye palettes. I got my eye palette in Royal Tour and it's nothing to get to hyper about. The colors in both palettes are quite the same o', same o' reruns. Royal Tour contains a soft pinkish purple shade, a lilac shade, and a deep almost periwinkle blue shade. I'm honestly at a lost how to use the palette as the shades are a mix match of colors. At this point I'm thinking of using the lightest shade as a base, the lilac as a contrasting shade for my crease and outer v, and the periwinkle as a liner. I'll have to take a peek at the face charts for ideas on the best way to use this. I personally think, aside from the uber fabulous packaging, you can skip both palettes unless you'd just like one to add to your collection.







Now the beauty powders I was quite excited about and disappointed all in the same breath. The powders are truly gorgeous at first glance and I'm quite pleased MAC went out of their way to include a matching lilac sponge to apply the powder, nice work guys! Likey! However, the powders are sprayed with a fine shimmer over top under which lays a chalkier formula powder. I guess I was somewhat disappointed that the shimmer wasn't straight through the powder however I honestly don't mind that the powder is the standard MAC beauty powder formula as I do enjoy these. I got both shades which are Spectacle! a soft pink and What a Dame! a pale orange. These are quite nice to carry around for a bit of a touch up and to add a nice glow to cheeks. I liked both and think they are well worth picking up.










Finally the glosses and lippies in the collection are super and all are well worth snatching up as they are some sincerely unique shades. In particular I felt like the MAC lipglasses released with Dame Edna were particularly lovely shades. I ended up getting all three lipglasses released which were Possum Nose a bright coral (my favorite of the three), Splendid a lovely coral with hints of pink, and Hot Frost a light fuchsia shade.














I stupidly hauled only two of the three lipsticks but never mind I guess that means I'll have extra money for MAC Hello Kitty. The two shades I got were Kanga-Rouge a lovely blue based red (My fav!) and Coral Polyp a nice shade of coral that appears almost orange.







All in all the MAC Dame Edna Collection is a nice selection of bolder, louder shades. Out of all the items I do think that the Lipglasses are the star of the show in this case and well worth picking up as I found them unique and quite nice shades for the Spring. Everything else is a bit of a hit and miss for me. I loved the Beauty Powders but again it's nothing you absolutely have to have unless you want it for the packaging alone.

The collection doesn't fully get me back on board the MAC train but I'm slowly gaining speed!

How about you?

What did you haul from MAC Dame Edna?

Any favs?

Tell the Muse!

related posts

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Naomi @ Beauticology.com said...

I just received mine in the mail and am also disappointed about the stickers. *shakes fist*

January 13, 2009 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger hklover86 said...

i got the kanga rouge lipstick and i love it!

January 13, 2009 at 10:18 PM  
Blogger Haru said...

Hey Izzy,

I passed completely on this collection although I had been thinking of picking up a couply of items at first after seeing the promo photos. I liked the lavender packaging but the stickers were completely tacky and spoilt the experience for me. The beauty powders were blah after the shimmer layer rubbed off, the eyeshadows were chalky and the lipglosses/lipstick shades seem like so many others that MAC has put out. So I didn't even try to B2M for one of the lipsticks. Hopefully Hello Kitty will be better!

January 13, 2009 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger acutelife said...

wow musey, MAC over there sure release alot of interesting series, adn quite often too!how come they dont travel here? :( I love the lippies esp the hot frost. I think MAC's lips line is always good to have :D

January 13, 2009 at 11:29 PM  
Blogger Jamilla Camel said...

Dear Muse,

I agree about the stickers, but I am in love with Dame Edna High-Light Powder in "What a Dame"
--here is a pic of me wearing it:

http://makeupforprofessionalasianwomen.blogspot.com/2009/01/fotd-brtc-bb-cream-and-dame-edna-high.html

and I think the Possum Nose Pink lipglass is my new HG Pink,which I wore to brighten a cold-ravaged face:

http://makeupforprofessionalasianwomen.blogspot.com/2009/01/fotd-dr-appointment-face.html

January 14, 2009 at 2:42 AM  
Blogger Anitacska said...

Hi Muse!
I got quite a few things too, both trios (I have a very very limited amount of Mac e/s, so no duplicates there), both face powders (lovely, but wtf with the shimmer overspray???), a gloss (Hot Frost) and the fuchsia lipstick Gladiola I think. Overall, quite pleased with them and agree, the lipglass is very nice! :)

January 14, 2009 at 8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only got the Kanga Rouge lipstick. I am not much of a MU collector, regardless of what my SO believes. When I saw it was am amplified cream, I had to have it. It is a bit too cool for me, but i can fix that with a warmer base, I think. Kinda defeats the purpose of am amp cream though, *sigh*. While I do like lipglass, I don't like buying more than a couple a year. They don't last too long for me, and it breaks my heart when I go to use one and I find that it has separated and gone all "icky"

January 14, 2009 at 10:36 AM  
Blogger delete this said...

I wasn't impressed by anything in this collection - thank the Gods LOL

January 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Naomi!

Amen sister! HATE the stickers! They are peeling right out of the box!
grr!

January 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi hklover86

Me too! Such a gorg red right?!

January 14, 2009 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey iris!

Totally agreed...the stickers totally totally upset me :( And yes the top layer of shimmer upset me as well..I like beauty powders but shimmery one would be nicer :(

Shadows were very chalky as well but I did love the lippies and gloss! Honestly at the very least check out the glosses again as they are really unique my friend!

I fear HK is not going to make us happy :( what do you think so far of HK!?

Love ya!

January 14, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello miss acutelife!

too many at too little time makes us broke lol..mac really does ALOT of releases. MAC makes some great lip stuff. You're in Japan hun? and haven't seen these releases?

January 14, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Jamilla Camel

really annoying with the stickers sigh!

You look fab with it :) thanks for sharing hun!

awww it's been brutal lately with the cold :P again very nice fotd!

January 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello there Anitacska!

Good on you hun good haul and I'm glad to see you got both palettes. If you don't have a ton of mac these are actually nice ;)
I HATE the overspray...Japanese cosmetic lines do this too to make a product appealing but one swipe it's gone AHHHHHHH! ggggggrrrr!
I think the glosses were quite unique and will be lovely for Spring/Summer :)

Good haulin' hun! Enjoy!

January 14, 2009 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello there Pavlina!

kanga rouge is unique..I'm loving it..I actually hate that it's cream but I do like it with gloss :)

aw hells doesn't matter what you pair it with so long as you love the looks of it :) doesn't defeat the purpose if you're happy with the finished look :)

I hear you on lipglass! I try to store them in a cold, dark place and find that helps some :)

January 14, 2009 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey j!

yea..I'm kinda on the fence myself :P it's good but it's not oh my god I'll die without it!

January 14, 2009 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Vichaya said...

Ah... I wanted to love this collection, but I can't. I just can't!!! I'm so loving the purple with red glasses packaging. They look really quirky, but when I went to the store to try them out IRL, they are crap (for me). I can't help but walk away. Now, although I'm not really in love with the promo pic of Hello Kitty, I'm looking forward to that cute HK head cup with brushes in. (I think it's the brush stand???)

January 15, 2009 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey vichaya!

Me too lol! didn't you like the glosses at least? I kinda thought those were unique...everything else was meh meh but the glosses seemed awesome :)

I seen that! and me too! the stand looks adorable although..black..sigh...wish it was pink!

January 15, 2009 at 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home