Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jul 18, 2008

MAC Colour Forms Swatches and Review



Grrr I'm so peeved with myself! Last night as soon as I got off work I picked up my best mate Jai and we took our fabulous selves off to Nordies to get the low down on the Nordstrom Exclusive MAC Colour Forms Collection (plus see the other exclusive bits and bobs)!

When we got there we headed to the MAC counter first and I was told that the pressed powder was sold out! UGH! I was so disappointed as this was the item I was the most excited about! My MA told me virtually everything was gone aside from two or so each of the new pigment shades, a few palettes, three shades of the highlighters (the rest were gone, gone, gone!) and the brush sets. Can you believe it? Who knew it would go this quickly!!!!!!!

I normally pre-book everything in advance but since I'm always seen these exclusives pop up at my local CCO a few months later at killer deals I was playing it safe by waiting until the date of release but sadly I got turned out in the cold! Can you believe it? The Muse missing out on MAC! Don't they know who I am?

It's not all bad as I can get it online but still! Damnit!

On top of that horror story I thought that the new green pigment was a re-promote of "Golders Green" so I skipped it...I got home and realized it's called Glided Green! Someone shoot me please?

So the Muse is only bringing you part of my haul and the rest will come next week after my order ships from Nordies website!

Jai ended up with zero which is very unlike him as he's like me and collects all the palettes. He was either suffering from some unknown disease last night or he just wasn't too thrilled with MAC Color Forms. I can't blame him too much as it really wasn't too much to get excited about.

Do not get me wrong. There are some sincerely beautiful things in this collection but I just felt a little tiny bit meh about it. I ended up hauling one palette (very unlike me), one lipstick, and three piggies! $126 USD later I left swinging my bag and humming a happy tune!

Again, very unlike me but I only picked up one of the two palettes. I'd normally grab both but the Cool Eye palette was just blah. Not great colors at all! However, the Warm Eye palette was simply divine and well worth grabbing. It's a perfect selection of great Fall colors plus it's a design I haven't personally seen from MAC before so that alone makes it unique!

The compact design is pretty much identical to last year's Novel Twist. It's a solid rectangle box with a flip lid, magnetic closure, and fabric cover. Aside from it's bright green material cover it's virtually the same exact compact style as last year's design. Unlike last year's five shadow line up this is a tiny bit different. Yes, it does contain five shadow shades but instead of a straight line placement they now have three shadows facing the standard upwards position and two shades that are laying on the side.

It's an interesting set up for the palette and as I said I've never seen MAC do a palette like this. They choose to make the two shadows on the left hand side bigger sizes or at least they look bigger to me. The two lightest shades that you'd use as a base and highlighter are the shades that they give you more of (or it appears to be more but it could be just the set up!).







The color selection is pretty much a very nice array of Fall colors. Granted it's probably very similar to past MAC palettes but I really like it anyway. I might be bias because I just enjoy MAC palettes but this seems really pretty to me.

MAC Colour Forms Warm Eye Palette versus Novel Twist Warm Eye Palette




Colors included are:

Chillproof-Creamy white comparable MAC Eyeshadow in Mylar or Nyon
Tancentric- Pale Rose
Rolled Gold-Smoky Khaki Green
Rustic-Cranberryish Shade comparable to MAC Eyeshadow in Cranberry
Fertile-Matte Chocolate Brown





Personally I like the palette and I think it's worth picking up! It has a nice healthy array of Fall colors plus if you're a collector you're going to want one!

The lipsticks released with MAC Colour Forms are unique and again, not something I have seen from MAC prior to this. They contain a lip color that surrounds a core pearl finished core. Let me tell you it looks really pretty but it does nothing. The color I selected was Rose Go Around and it's a gorgeous maroon red while the inside houses a peachy, gold shimmering core. It's lovely, truly it is but that core doesn't really do much that I see? Once I apply I just get beautiful, pigmented off red lips. I'm not really noticing any gold shimmer to my lips....I'm not even noticing that the lipstick applies easier or has some sort of moisturizing benefits due to the new core. Nada. Very nice to look at and definately worth picking up as the shades available are very nice but don't get it because you're thinking that the core will give your lips a slick look. That's not the case, it applies as any other MAC lipstick would.













And finally, something I think everyone always gets excited about, the piggies! It's always very exciting when MAC does some new pigments. It's not something they do often and I think it makes everyone very happy when they do release new shades! I had two of the shades already so I ended up with three total and a fourth that I thought I had as I mentioned but didn't get. Damnit! Review for that one later.

Repromotes are Steel Blue and Jardin Aires. Steel Blue shouldn't even be a repromote actually..I believe Pro sales it or at the very least MAC's website carries it or stores. Unsure but it's definately available around somewhere! Jardin Aires was released with a collection that the name escapes me at the moment but it's a color you'll definately want to grab up if you missed it the first time around. It's a creamy beige, peachy shade!

Now new colors that have never been released prior to Colour Forms are Royal Flush, Tea Time, and Circa Plum. Get all three if you have the spare cash as they are very nice shades for Fall. They aren't very Muse-like but they are very pretty especially Royal Flush which is kinda like a lighter shade of MAC Cranberry in pigment form! Cool!

Royal Flush-Cranberry Shade
Tea Time-Simply a light brown
Circa Plum-Plummy purple
















I guess that's pretty much it! All in all it's a pretty nice selection of items from MAC. I'm not really jumping around doing cartwheels over it but I think it's worth checking out for yourself because there are a few items in the collection that you might want to see, swatch, or buy! And as always I highly recommend the brush sets, these are such a killer deal and it works out to like $10 USD per a brush if you do indulge! Good one!

Head on into Nordstrom to check out MAC Colour Forms for yourself or click on over to Nordies site and see it for yourself!

Expect a review of the highlighter/blush powders and Glided Green pigment shortly!

Here's a simple Face of the Day using MAC Colour Forms Warm Eye Palette. I used Chillproof as a highlighter, Tancentric all over the and creaase, Rustic on the crease and V, and finished off with Rolled Gold on the lower lash line. On my lips I'm wearing the MAC Color Forms Lipstick in Rose Go Around.



So tell me.......

What did you haul?

What did you stash? What did you trash?

Love MAC Color Forms?

Not for you?

Tell the Muse!



Get your MAC cravings filled by clicking through past posts!

Check out what I hauled from Nordstrom's Exclusive MAC Collection Novel Twist from last year!

MAC Sonic Chic Review

MAC Neo Sci-Fi Review

MAC Dazzleglass Review

MAC Naughty Nauticals Review

MAC Dress Camp Review

Fafi for MAC Review


MAC C-Shock Review

Labels: , , , , , , ,

44 Comments:

Blogger Taryn said...

Dangit, Muse. I was scrolling down looking at your pictures and had various "eh" sentiments until I saw the lipstick. That caught my eye, but I was still willing to forget about it until you post your FOTD. Geesh. How am I going to pass it by now?

I'm really, really trying to cut back on the color cosmetics here and you aren't helping! :P

July 18, 2008 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger Beauty Addict said...

Hey Izzy, I went to the mall today and got my hands on Gulf Stream e/s from Cool Heat and finally e/s trio 1 from Heatherette. Too bad we aren't getting the beauty powders from Heatherette as it was all sold out in US :(

I'm still patiently waiting for Sonic Chic and Electro flash to be in. I love baked shadows and blushers!

Love the lip colour on you! :) I actually wanted to haul colour form lippies as well but they are very soft! It seems that it's softer than the regular MAC lippies.

It's gonna be the weekends soon. Hope u'll have a great weekend ahead! :)

gracie

July 18, 2008 at 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lipsticks look divine. I wonder if the UK will ever get this?

July 18, 2008 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I want Nordstrom! We don't have Nordies in town, can you believe that? Probably because the SES in this area is not all that.

Jardin Aires was last promoted in the Heatherette collection. It looks nice but not something I'm so thrilled about.

Damn, I heart that palette! It looks like they give you more stuff in there but maybe it's an illusion. The lipsticks look like something Revlon has done before. Again, the core is there for show, nothing special about it.

July 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Envy your haul but I am surprise that you didn't purchase the richmetals highlighters.I got Dark Influence and is loving it. How do you think of TeaTime?

Enjoy your goodies :)

Can I check with you something? If I need a cp from you for the brush set,how can I contact you?

July 18, 2008 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Ahleessa said...

The palette is so gorgeous! I so want it but I'm on a budget this summer.

July 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey taryn!

LOL!!!!!! W00t! I love to enable you!

It's kinda a cop out since the "core" doesn't really do much! But hey great shade at least :)

*whistles* dodododo...who me? I didn't do anything wrong!

July 18, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello my beautiful gracie :)

I LOVE gulf stream! Reviewing it soon ;)

Aw poo :( It's definately gone here but if it comes in a local CCO I'll get them for you if you want!

I loved baked blushes/shadows too :) Nice haul on heatherette and cool heat you got!

Aw thanks! They are soft but interesting! Kinda disappointed w/ the core :(

Hope you have a fab one too darling! Can't wait for it to begin!

It's gorgeous weather and I have a great weekend planned with friends yay!

July 18, 2008 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya Laura!

If not I can always get it for you ;) You know I'd be happy to return the favor after all the ones you did for me!

July 18, 2008 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger Stephy said...

I think I'm getting the warm eyes palette and the tea time piggie! I was debating whether to get the Odd couple duo too but i think i'd choose the palette over the odd couple duo! :)
i've been having such a hard time deciding what to get!

July 18, 2008 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi there Dao!

UGH! Nooooo!!!!!! That stinks :(

Wasn't it before Heatherette though? I remember picking it up with some other color story..hmmm!

It's a really nice shade. Kinda creamy beige. If you'd like a sample give a yell!

It does look like more but I think it's prob the same amounts. They are psyching us out into believing it's more!

;)

I think Almay did these too...Revlon I remember! for shame mac copying ds brands ;)

Not at all. Total disappointment. I thought it would make the lippie moisturizing but no go grrr!

Thanks for your comment! I enjoy talking to you :)

Hugs!
Happy Weekend!

July 18, 2008 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya rocking chick!

naaa I got these with mac couture and didn't like 'em at all :P So I skipped!

TeaTime is a wonderful brown for a nude look. if you nudes this is a great one!

I actually pm'ed you on cozy...same nick right? just email me at musings.of.a.muse@gmail.com or pm me at cozy :) I'm happy to get what you need from any collection!

I have a mac counter at macys, one a nordies, dozens of mac stores, etc..new york is on mac overload hehe!

July 18, 2008 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello Alyssa!

Are you in the US? if so might I suggest checking your local CCO in about 3-6 months..bet you get it for a steal than!

;)

July 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi stephy!

Good choices! I really didn't like the MES this time around so I think you'd be happier with the palette but that's just mho!

Believe me I know ;) Choices, Choices, Choices!

July 18, 2008 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

I love the MAC Palettes!
I may have to buy one :)

July 18, 2008 at 4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I actually had some money to my name I would accept your kind offer. As it is, I need to sell my soul on ebay just to get through to next pay day.
I have spent faaaaar too much on dresses and nail polish this week!

July 18, 2008 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Nice haul Izzy! Just wanted to say hello, missed ya!

July 18, 2008 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger Bianca said...

Aaaaah you got the warm eyes too.... I'm waiting for my haul to come in and I'm very unpatient. Since The Netherlands doesn't have a Nordstrom (what DO we have here?? gah...) one of my dear friends asked me to order with her and split the $50,- of shipping... and I agreed... So Glided Green, both the warm and cool eye pallets and the warm lips pallette are coming my way and I can't wait. Oh and Rose Go Round too!! It looks great on you!!!

Have a great weekend!!

July 18, 2008 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Tammy M said...

I ordered all the piggies...but everything else? *shrugs shoulders*
As for the brush sets, if I wait a month or two, they will be at the CCO and only about $33!
Oh well, saves me money for the next time!

July 18, 2008 at 6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you :) pm you at cozy.

July 19, 2008 at 1:25 AM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

I actually wanted the rich metal highlighters in rose bullion, and in that random gold one [as a base for my warmer blushers]. the nude and pink lippies [naked something and pop something, whatevs] looked nice as well. nummy. :]

July 19, 2008 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Beauty Addict said...

Thanks Izzy for your offer. Will let u know if I want it. Anyway, Jardin Aires seems to be quite a re-promote in recent colections. It seems to be popping up in collections nowadays.

Ooh..I have Steel Blue as well. It makes a good smokey eye ;)

gracie

July 19, 2008 at 5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aaawww i'm so jealous right now!

(going to london in 3 hours, yay!)

Have a great week!

July 19, 2008 at 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doll, I think the lipstick looks divine and deliciously sheer!!!

July 19, 2008 at 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse.

Yes, I read your blog all the time...as a matter of fact, I subscribed to it so I get an e-mail every time you update. You are one of my favorite makeup guru's! I'll have to check out my local sketchers outlet to see if they have any cute shoes.

I am diggin' the Colour Forms collection. I placed a pre-order last month and it is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I got both brush sets (advanced & basic), 1 lip palette (cool lips), 1 eye palette (warm eyes), 2 liptsticks, 3 piggies, 1 highlighter (female) and 1 pressed powder (suncentered). I can't wait for them to arrive (especially after reading your post!).

Question, did you happen to see the Evian Facial Water Spray while you were at Nordies?? It is a Nordies exclusive and I'm curious if it's similar to MAC Fix Plus or Charged Mineral Water.

I'm in Louisiana right now and we don't have a Nordies so I am unable to check it out. Thank GOD I will be moving back to California next month....I miss have access to all of the makeup!! We have 1 MAC store here but back in Cali there are at least 6 within 30 miles of my house. I can't wait to get back home.

July 19, 2008 at 8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that the eyeshadow's are in separate pans. On the website, it looks like they are together (which I really don't like). Since there is no Nordstrom's anywhere near me, I will have to be ordering online. I think I am feeling the cool eyes palette more than the warm...

July 21, 2008 at 12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It this US only? I love the lippies! Oh but you know I have been so good at resisting mac, even with my Pro card. Boo hoo this makes me want MAC!

July 21, 2008 at 4:41 AM  
Blogger makeupmag said...

Izzy, thank you for that detailed review of the lippy; I really like how you described it, together with the caveat. :)

I also just noticed that you linked to my LJ! Thank you! My new makeup blog addy is htp://www.makeupstash.com (I'm still working on it) though. I'll be sure to link to MOAM! :)

Have a great week!

July 21, 2008 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Phyrra!

Me too! I'm always on the look out for ones I didn't get prior to becoming a mac whore ;)

The warm one is simply gorgeous! if you get one do stop back and tell me whatcha think!

Hugs!

July 21, 2008 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi laura!!!!!!

awww poo! Sorry to hear it my dear girl. The offer is ALWAYS open! Plus you got a nice package from me to look forward too soon ;)

Nail polishes? Dresses? DARLING WHAT ABOUT the makeups?! Hehe!

July 21, 2008 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

'nes!
What's up girlie?

I miss you toooooo! I have some news about beauty bytes. Email me? Or I'll email you! We both get so bloody swamped ugh!

I love ya!

July 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello bianca!

Awesome! ;)

Oh my gosh you have everything :) The nederlands is gorgeous ;) You have the amsterdam that's all you'll ever need, forget makeup hehe!

Very nice haul of goodies to look forward too!!!!!! I didn't particularly like the cool palette but do drop by and tell me your thoughts! Would love to hear :)

I was so damn stupid and thought gilded green was a repromote duh now I have to wait too :)

Aw thanks *hugs*

Hope your weekend was fab and happy monday to you!
Hope to talk to you again soon!

July 21, 2008 at 9:24 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey Tam!

Mmm I felt the same kinda sorta. The piggies were def on my hit list but the rest was kinda a routine buy. I have collectors disease I swear!

Ditto on the brush sets. CCO will have 'em major cheap and the palettes but I never want to chance missing out just in case. I'm so obsessed sigh!

How are you this fine Monday morning :)

Hope all is well!

Love ya!

July 21, 2008 at 9:25 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi rocking chick!

Will reply shortly. been SWAMPED today :)

Hugs!

July 21, 2008 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya sarah!

I've debated on the highlighters for the better part of the week and decided eh...might as well skip. I already have a few from couture so might as well stick to those. It's nothing to get too hyped about I guess ;)

Hugs!
Happy Monday!

July 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya gracie!

You are most welcome mate!

It does indeed! This is the 3rd time I seen it go around!


Steel blue rocks under an aqua as well ;)

July 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi there pao pao!

Happy Monday! LOL not as jealous as I am of all those major NARS hauls you got ;)

Enjoy London! Be safe and shop till you drop!


Will miss you!

July 21, 2008 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anonymous!

Thank you kindly :) I appreciate the compliment ;)

Happy Monday!

July 21, 2008 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello Yasmine!

Yay! Thanks for reading and subscribing it means so much to me!

Thanks so very very much :)

Oh do! they have a ton right now since they are kinda clearing out summer and making room for fall ;) Happy shopping!

Fabulous haul of goodies!!!!! That's something to look forward too! Tuesday is a day away =-) Stop back and tell me your thoughts on your awesome stash of goodies!

I did not. and was pissed as I wanted it.
I asked my dior ma but he didn't see it either grrr!

I think it's safe to say it's alot different from fix plus and charged water. Fix plus is a tad tad tad bit sticky and charged water smells lovely and offers great moisture where as the evian is simply water...no moisturizing benefits and of course no staying powder for makeup.

It's great for just spritzing in to aid your moisturizing in sinking in but not much else!

Louisana must be nice too. Where abouts?

I can imagine :( It stinks having to order online with crummy swatch options.

Its the same here. MAC and sephora on every street corner :) So when I go away I definately notice a certain sadness for lack of cosmetics ;)
Thanks for your great comment!

Hope to speak to you soon and hear all about your stash!

Hugs!

July 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello there Jackie!

happy Monday!

They are and they aren't. They kinda run together when you brush into them which makes a bit of a mess!

They are kinda together. It's like a palette with strips of eyeshadow.

Are you? The warm called me :) I didn't like the cool much!

Thanks for the comment!
Hope to talk to you again soon :)

July 21, 2008 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey rows!

PRO CARD AHHHH I want a pro card damn you lol!

US only but Singapore got it and Japan so maybe england will but I doubt it as last year and the year before you guys didn't score any of the nordies releases :(

Hugs!

July 21, 2008 at 9:35 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

mags!

hi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good to see you! You're miss around here!

Aw ;) Glad it was helpful ;)

Your link has been up ages. I lurk your LJ on occasion! I didn't know you moved DUH! Will update the link!

Aw thanks honey ;)

Hugs!

July 21, 2008 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

Now I am thinking the same...I've found some pretty passable liquid dupes in Mark's Glow Xpert...so I may go for those instead!

July 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

funny u mentioned those! ordered 'em and doing a review soon lol!

July 23, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home