Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Apr 10, 2008

Beauty on a Budget: NYX Mosaic Powder Review

Yay for the Muse jumping back on board the Beauty on a Budget bandwagon!

This time I'm raving about NYX (kinda, sorta, maybe!).

Since it's Summer it appears that NYX is busy pimping some of their older line up. Which basically means they have cute little pop up displays all over the place that have separate collections of makeup they are whorin' out to the masses. I've run across two displays like this so far. One was the glitter eyeliners and the second was the Mosiac Powders. Both items are old news and nothing really new about 'em but NYX just revamped the display I guess to catch new buyer eyes. They caught my eye recently when I was at Harmon's drugstore picking some items up for my lovely friend Aya at Irodori.







These particular blush powders from NYX looked outstanding so I thought I might as well grab 'em while the grabbing was good.

They only cost $5.99 USD so really I couldn't go bankrupt buying these. Many months ago NYX had contacted me with a discount to do a review on their products and honestly I never got around to actually purchasing anything or doing the review for that matter! Damn the Muse to hell for not getting around to doing these important things!

The powders are gorgeous. The packaging is simple yet elegant and quite reminds me of MAC. Why I never purchased NYX prior to this can only be blamed on my snotty nature when it comes to cosmetics.

I purchased two colors but there are quite a few color selections available that range from lighter to darker. I got the Pinkish Red and the Orange color. I don't particularly love either one sadly. The pink goes on way to red and the orange makes my face look very dull.






The powder formula is good. Silky, blends well, and lasts long however I think the color combinations are just not working well for me. I'm normally a very big fan of vibrant shades but neither color seems to suit me.

The orange color seems way too orange! And the pink color seems to just not pick up enough of the lighter shades in the palette and it grabs up more of the red which causes me to look like a clown! Ugh!

Awwww moan! I really wanted to love these! I'm going to keep trying with the pink powder but the orange after swatching is a big no!



I think the main problem with these is that fact that they contain five separate shades of color which could be a little too much. I guess it's a form of graduation but it just doesn't work so well. When I applied the pink the color went on splotchy and my brush was picking up more of the vibrant red and not mixing correctly with the lighter shades in the powder.

I can't give these too poor a rating simply because they are very pigmented blushes and good quality! However, I just didn't like them and they didn't work well for me.

Yes, they are nicely pigmented. Yes, the price is more than alright. But they don't exactly do what I want them too!

NYX Mosaic Powders get a big thumbs down from the Muse!

Love these?

Hate 'em?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, these have the same pigmentation,texture and consistency issues as Benefit's Dandelion and Thrrrob powders, so I'm not too crazy about them.

NYX's cream rouges are much better, on par with MAC's (if not better), though they veer warm in color.

Forget NYX; if you live near a RiteAid, try to get ahold of 'Jesse's Girl'. The loose mineral eyeshadows are supposed to be on par with mainstream mineral brands, and the new psycadelic LE compacts are to die for!

April 10, 2008 at 1:49 PM  
Blogger Sminkan said...

Well, you saved me some money here! I never tried NYX cosmetics except for the nail polishes, but I have been tempted. Now I feel cured from that! ;-)

April 10, 2008 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Sarah Vaughn said...

I've never tried these, but I do love the NYX eyeshadows. They're very pigmented though, so it took me some getting used to, since I tend to make my makeup look more natural.

April 10, 2008 at 7:22 PM  
Blogger ♡ Nic Nic ♡ said...

oo i bought one in cafe! it's kinda like a browny colour! ive not tried it yet though. sorry it didnt work out for you tho. I hope i dont have the problem of mixing and picking up colour either :S

April 10, 2008 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger D. said...

hey...NYX mosaic powder!!! perfect! i was really getting the urge to get these but have no idea what they really look like. thanks for posting! the swatches look damn nice. okay. i'm sold :D heheh

April 10, 2008 at 10:57 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey Mandy!

Mmm I got decent pigmentation from these but the color blended like crap!

Cream blush never lasts on me well :( Stila Convertible Color and Bobbi Brown Pot Rouge are the only ones that have lasted well on me :)

Jesse Girl? OooOOoooOOoo! I must go to Rite Aid now. Stop doing this :P

hehe!

April 11, 2008 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya sminkan!

I think the eyeshadows may be good but the blushes are absolute rubbish :P

LOL I'm good at killing lemmings and creating them! Go me!

April 11, 2008 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya hana!

I've heard NYX shadows are on par with MAC! I've never tried 'em before. I understand totally as my sister is more of a natural type with cosmetics and when I introduced her to MAC she was somewhat aghast at how vibrant the shades were :)

Takes some getting used too!

April 11, 2008 at 9:47 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey nics!

Oh! Looking forward to your review. Might I ask the price? I'm guessing double! Curious minds.

they had an interesting light pink one I wanted but glad I stopped at two as I didn't really like these much :(

April 11, 2008 at 9:48 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

Hey D!

No no! Don't :) They aren't too good :P I'm not much into them! The swatches are pigmented and the colors but they blend like crap :(

April 11, 2008 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger D. said...

Oh...hmm...dammit!! i was really eyeing the highlighter one. *pout*pout*pout* no makeup for D to buy? :((

April 11, 2008 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hehe d. No make up for d :)

the highlighter might be good but the pigmented blush types aren't so good!

April 14, 2008 at 1:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse, I love the orange blush! It looks gorgeous.. Could u check the name for me please? =)

March 4, 2009 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi belle!

eep I don't have it anymore sorry I swapped it away ages ago. but they only have the one orange believe it's called love :)

March 4, 2009 at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home