Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Aug 11, 2009

Victoria's Secret Silky Eyeshadow Review and Swatches

When the Muse set eyes on the new Victoria's Secret Silky Eyeshadow she got all kinds of hyper and excited. Looking at the display of gorgeous shadows is too tempting as the shimmering jewel shades sparkle so brilliantly under the hot, bright lights in store. Once you get past the gorgeous shades and incredible finish you'll stumble upon the fact they are merely $10 bucks each. Omg! Makeup nirvana surely this is it.


Jump ahead for a peep at the brand new revamped Victoria's Secret Silky Eyeshadows and hear what I think!

The new shadows are available in two finishes, Lustre and Sparkle. Of course the Muse was all about the sparkle. The shades on display just make you want to haul them all as they shimmer and shine like little square gems, too pretty. Each shadow is $10 dollars and I was truly tempted to haul away especially after swatching and seeing how richly pigmented they are.

First off I will say the pigmentation is incredible upon swatch. It's a rich pigment with a heavy duty sparkle. Actually, after getting them home I did think that it was a bit TOO much shimmer, gasp I know? Too much shimmer? Has the Muse gone loco? But it's true the finish is a tad too shimmery even for the likes of me. I didn't swatch the Lustre finish and ended up hauling three shades from the sparkle line and I'm actually relieved it was only three as it turns out they aren't as great as I had hoped.




I ended up with three shades which were Gaze (Olive Green), 24K (Buttery Golden Yellow), and Glided Fierce (Black with Gold Shimmer) Glided Fierce is also available the Christian Siriano Victoria's Secret Cosmetic Collection packaging.


































As mentioned swatching was great but working with the formula ended up to be an overall crummy experience. The formula is a creamy, powdery texture which is beautiful but causes major fall out, this was problem 1. As pigmented as these swatch they aren't nearly as great applied on the eye, problem 2. You need a good build up of product before seeing good color payoff. This could be because the product fails to blend great or it's just a flaw with the formula but after my first stroke I needed at least two more layers to get a good pop of color. Brushes are a big no, you'll need a sponge applicator to properly place color on the lid. Even with proper priming (my believed UDPP never fails me) the shadow was creased and gross by the end of the day, not a cool look. I'm shocked as Urban Decay Primer Potion is not to blame as it normally bulletproofs my shadow.

Overall, I really had a difficult time working with these. It's a mystery to me as truly they swatch so beautifully but the formula just doesn't live up to what I was expecting. I'm wondering if VS will take these back as I'm unsure what the return policy is for used makeup. At this point I'm really considering getting my money as you can count me unimpressed and disappointed. They are definitely a big improvement over the shadows VS used to carry but this doesn't change the fact they aren't as great as I had hoped for.

Sad sigh!

Oh well can't win 'em all.

Regardless of how I'm feeling about these I do urge you to head in store and have a swatch for yourself I'm curious what you think. I think I'll explore the lustre finish to see if that works out better and I'll continue playing with these to see if I can get a better payoff.

Here's a look I created using Gaze




Anyone try yet?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger bk377 said...

Your description reminds me of my feelings towards MAC's Lustre eyeshadows. Beautiful in the pan, but with lots of fallout, chunky sparkle and a huge disappointment overall. How do they compare?

August 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hun, i LOVE all your posts........ I just have a question tho, is there a reason you are always wearing a headband, and covering your hair??? Are you a Muslim? You are very beautiful either way im sure, but i was just curious! Thanks love have a great day!

August 12, 2009 at 1:15 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

worst bora. :P lustre is fall out city mac wise but these are even worst. think MJ's creamy powder formula and triple it by five :P

it's awful :(

August 12, 2009 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi pink

I'm not Muslim no. I just use a headband to keep my long hair out of my face as it's long and wavy and it's quite humid out which equals frizz. on top of that I hate having it all over the place when I'm working. So I put it in a but and slide a head band on to keep it from my face.

You can see me with it down in my about me section and also a few fotd's I'm wearing it down.

Hope this helps!

August 12, 2009 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Marie. said...

I saw those yesterday. I swatched the black one and the gold one and I fell in love! For $10?! What a great deal! I'm still trying to decide what colors I want to pick up.

August 12, 2009 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi marie!

def a deal in a half!!!!!! :-D

don't forget the coupon!!!!!!!!!! :-D

August 13, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home