Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Aug 3, 2009

Musings of the Day: When Swapage Goes Terribly Wrong!

I love swapping makeup. I haven't done so in a long time but I adore hanging out on Cozycot, Specktra, MUA, etc...to discuss makeup, do cps, or just enjoy a swap or two. Which brings me to today's Musings.


Have you ever had a swap that went wrong? Maybe you've been swap-lifted? Gasp! Or got the item and it was in totally gross condition?

Tell me your swap story and jump ahead for my tales of swapage that have gone terribly wrong!

Honestly, I've only ever been blessed with the best swap partners. Particularly my good friend Iris comes to mind when I think of hardcore CP'ing. I swear Iris must curse the day she met me because she's probably never got such requests as the ones I loaded on her. Truly a swapper/cp'er extraordinaire.

Personally, I stink at cps, swaps, trading, etc....since I started Musings. I just have no time to complete a good cp and I'm a total wash up. It's so bad I just stopped offering altogether.

But days of old when swapping was my game I've been lucky enough to always have a great partner to trade with. I can only recall two times that I had a problem with a swap and I've never mentioned them on the Internet until now but have been known to make my friends laugh rather loudly when I tell them that swapping can sometimes be disgusting.

Generally I never look to swap anything used. I've been known to swap away gently used items however I personally don't want used items. I know I'm so anal, apologies. Moral of the story is everything I've ever swapped for was brand new aside from this one time when I decided to swap for a MAC Cream Blush. At the time the girl who contacted me wanted something really badly from my list and she had absolutely nothing I wanted. But she was begging and pleading with me so I felt bad enough to give in and select an item from her list. I ended up going with a MAC Cream Blush that said "gently used"...honestly I had no intention of using it because I know how I am, miss germ-a-phobe, but since her list consisted of 99% used goods it was the only item that looked somewhat good. I was thinking once I got it I could just put it back up for swap.

I got it alright but the description failed to tell me that the swap also included hair. Omg so gross. The compact had two strands of long brown hair. Can I tell you I didn't even bother opening it. I took one look at the blush through the transparent plastic barrier and proceeded to ditch it.

Ew!

Just ew!

To add insult to injury she included two extras. Extra that were also used...as in used chapstick in Cherry and some no name lipstick that was equally used almost completely used up...maybe 50% lipstick remained.

To say I was horrified is an understatement.

That's about the worst swapping experience I've had thankfully.

How about you?

What are some of your swap nightmares?

Tell the Muse!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Phyrra said...

I joined up a secret summer swap. I got all excited and sent my package to my partner. I never received a package. The person running the swap said that my partner said she sent her package out but I never got it. I sent my package with delivery confirmation and tracking via UPS, so I knew it would arrive safely. The person running the swap asked the person who was supposed to send to me where my package was and got different answers:

1. that she sent it without tracking and didn't know what happened to it
2. that it was sent and I signed for it (changing her story)

Needless to say, I was super disappointed to have not received a package and had a shady partner. I don't hold the swap organizer responsible, but I do hope that she makes sure that it doesn't happen with her next swap by requiring EVERYONE to do tracking on their packages. Then again, it's just one minor item on a list of things that have gone wrong this year.

August 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Citrine said...

I am with you about the used stuff... My first swap went pretty badly since I wasn't selective at all and get a garbage worthy, no-name baby kabuki brush...I actually swap out two mostly new high-end products for that piece of garbage.

The rest didn't go too well either, most of the time they just ask me to send first and use the product before sending their ends.(I have 5 swap experience so far and I think I had enough...if I don't like something, I am probably better off throwing them in trash.)

August 3, 2009 at 7:12 PM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Yikes, gross! I haven't done a swap yet but I'm looking forward to hearing more horror stories...

August 4, 2009 at 5:53 AM  
Blogger Haru said...

Hey Izzy,

Thanks for the honorable mention once again! It was always my great pleasure to do CPs for you when I was in Tokyo... I do miss those days some times, having the treasures of Japanese makeup counters a stone's throw away. What made it fun was meeting very special ladies like you that I then became fast friends with :-)

My most horrible swaps: well, two come to mind, both through Makeupalley. One lady in the UK asked me for a CP, I purchased it for her and waited for her to pay me but she just ceased all communication. And then, when I left her a neutral token, she had the cheek to leave me 2 negatives and 1 neutral! I think I eventually managed to sell the item and the MUA mods also helped to remove 1 negative & 1 neutral token but the remaining negative was still a blemish on my otherwise perfect record on MUA.

Another one was a swap for MAC postcards where I never received the postcards. The swapper promised to re-send them, but still I never received anything. But it was just postcards so it didn't bother me as much. I had bigger frustrations with CPs as I was doing a lot more CPs than swaps!

August 4, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home