Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jan 2, 2009

Bobbi Brights Eye Palette Review and Swatches

I can't begin to tell you how many people have e-mailed me begging, pleading, and asking that I please for the love of makeup review the Bobbi Brights Eye Palette. Honestly, I heard you all and I appreciate how excited you were about this palette but for the Muse it was somewhat of a no, no. I think you can all guess why? No? One word, matte. All 35 shades in the palette are matte and the Muse and matte just never got along very well.

But for the sake of all good things cosmetic the Muse decided she MUST bring you the review you've pleaded with her for and today you're in for a treat as I bring you the Bobbi Brights Eye Palette review!




It's understandable why many Bobbi Brown (and makeup junkies in general) fans got pretty excited when they seen the Brights Eye Palette. It consists of 35 shadows in every color you probably ever wanted all in one spot! Nifty right? Who doesn't want a palette that contains an array of colors all in one place.

At $70 USD I was expecting a MAC Pro style sized palette and boy was I shocked when I figured out the palette was actually the standard Bobbi Brown palette size. Whoa.....I'm unsure why I was under the impressions that the shadows would be medium or even full size or why I was thinking the palette was huge. I guess the price tag kinda sorta made me think I was going to get some giant palette. Not the case my friends. Truthfully I am somewhat disappointed that each shadow is smaller than the size of a US dime and that the palette is in fact quite tiny.








After my initial shock at the size I started smiling stupidly because I was somewhat pleased at how kawaii the palette actually was. It's small size and cute fold out design is actually extremely practical for travel plus whoever uses a full size shadow completely anyway (especially if you have a large stash of eyeshadow!)? I couldn't help but feel particularly pleased that on my next trip I could easily take a full color wardrobe with me thanks to this tiny palette as it contains everything from blues, to yellows, to pinks, and purples...all bold, all bright, all Muse friendly colors!






















I was shocked to read the description on the website that states "designed to be worn one at a time..." Hey, what are they talking about? You can totally do some amazing looks with a few colors at one time so the Muse highly recommends mixing and matching to create 100's of looks using one simple palette. Likey.

The colors are all very true and each is pigmented although, minor rant, matte in finish but that's ok as I thought these would make a great base shade which I can proceed to layer with pigments or sparkles from my own collection. I think all the shades are quite unique however Coral, Peach, Buttercup, Maize, and a few of the lighter shades are pretty similar but just a tiny bit lighter or darker. But I don't mind much as the colors are so small once I use up one shade it'll almost be like having a back up! On a side note I did notice that the brighter shades were much more pigmented than the lighter shades and some shades had a bit of a chalky formula.

The Muse did the math and at $70 USD for the palette the calculations come up as $2 USD per a shadow which isn't bad at all. $70 USD may seem a bit much to shell out for a palette of this size especially once you see that in fact the palette is smaller than an index card but I do think that it's got quite a bit of bang for your buck inside.

Who needs it?

  • Anyone that loves bright bold shades
  • Those who want a travel friendly palette with a slew of color options
  • Makeup users that are unafraid of a matte finish
  • Matte Lovers
  • Those who don't have a ton of makeup but want a bigger stash of color

I'm slapping a big Muse Approval on the palette! It has a slew of color options to create 100's of looks, it's compact and amazingly travel friendly, and it's just too darn cute! I think this one is a keeper! If you don't have a ton of options available in your cosmetic wardrobe at the moment I think you'll really want to indulge in this one.



The Muse likey. Alot. Snag one at Bobbi Brown Cosmetics or head to your local Bobbi counter to try out the colors!

I'll be doing a few FOTD's with the palette next week so stay tuned!

related posts


Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the matte thing. A mixture of matte + pearl and shimmer would have been great. Cant believe the shadows are sooo small !

January 2, 2009 at 6:59 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Indian girl

one shade says "shimmer wash eye" but it's still matte to me lol!

I'd have loved a mix but I think they were maybe taking into consideration that it would create a mess to combine 35 shimmers in one palette...I'm guessing that's the mentality behind all mattes.

I don't mind too much on the size as it packs a whole lot of travel friendly options into a small compact ;)

January 2, 2009 at 7:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was really pleased to see that BB did a brights collection! I played with this palette today and can't wait for you to see my COLORFUL FOTD, lol!

PS - I had a feeling if it had more shimmers, Muse will love this palette even more ;)

January 2, 2009 at 8:17 PM  
Blogger Amina said...

thank you so much for posting a review. I was going to email you too to ask what are your thoughts on it. I went to Nordstrom yesterday and played with it. But I tried it with such a negative attitude (it's expensive,etc..) but this morning, i realized that i bought some of her holidays palettes full price, i didn't give it a chance and it was written MAC, it will be sold out in an hour. So I ordered it and thaaaaaaaaaaaank you for the review and swatches!!
happy new year

January 2, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not big on using color so I really like the idea of having a lot of bright colors but smaller in size, relatively affordable and good quality. Cause really, it's like you said...will you use it all? I know I wouldn't. I prefer matte shades as long as these are blendable but that's just boring me! Thanks for posting about this. I think this may be the perfect gift for the woman (or Mom in my case) who has everything!

January 2, 2009 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Amina said...

i forgot to add, i prefer matte e/s to shimmery ones...

January 2, 2009 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger nemuineko said...

Personally, I like the idea of small shadows in this palette. I have so many colors that I hardly touch, and it seems like such a waste to buy one, try it for a little while, and then not use it again. This way, if I use it up, I know it's a color that's worth hunting down and purchasing full size. Plus, as you already said, it's travel friendly! Man, I hate trips where I'm limited only because of the size of the items I'm bringing.

As for the matte finish, I know I'm not the only one that has eyeshadows lying around that looked nice in the pan, and ended up just being a transparent shimmery/glittery wash on your eyes. Time to use them up, ladies and gents!

January 2, 2009 at 9:01 PM  
Blogger watercoloursky said...

Is it just me but it reminds me of those 88 eyeshadow palettes...not to mention the fact that its matte! All that colour is too overwhelming imo. I think it would look more attractive if they had narrowed down the range and number of colours.

January 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Ha, I was one of those bugged you about it...

Yea, I was kinda disappointed about the size when I opened my package... But like you said, the color was pigmenting and the case is SUPER CUTE!!

January 2, 2009 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I recently did a post in which I said that I would like to try this collection....I don't know...I just was a little turned off by how soft the colors are! I doubt they would show up on me! And the finish is so flat! Like Indian Girl said, I think if the finish was a matte/pearl/shimmer that I would have been more excited. I'll stick to my Coastal Scents palette! What do you think about the lipsticks? I'm looking to expand my lipstick stash and some of the colors looked really pretty.

January 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let me know how many times you can use the shadow before it hits the pan? AT .3gm each, probably 3x per eyeshadow. If it is for touchups after you have applied the eyeshadows from your full size palette, may be worth a try.

January 3, 2009 at 2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh, want it. but not really if its that small. buuuutttt....i would like a few more mattes in my collection. this may be food for thought.

January 3, 2009 at 2:45 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey cookie ;)

This is DIFFERENT for you :) I can't WAIT to see your FOTD =-) Lord knows if it contained 35 shimmers I'd be in heavan...maybe next year?
;)

January 3, 2009 at 11:42 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello there Amina!

My pleasure :) I think I am with you. When I seen it I had a negative attitude about it as well. Just the idea of 35 mattes made me cringe but after actually holding it in my hand and playing a bit I got excited at how cute it really was. I still stay it is expensive but once you do the math it's not truly that bad and it's a wide selection of color :)

You're most most welcome! I'm so glad that the review helped :)

Thanks for the comment!

Happy New Year!

January 3, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello there aestheticcoo!

I understand that. I think it's pretty ideal for those who are more neutral based. I'm sure they had considered that when making the palette especially considering bb is geared towards a more mature woman who isn't really into loud, bright colors. All though you don't have to be mature to love it ;)
You're in luck as BB mattes are nicely blendable and pack on well.

You've made some valid points that I am in total agreement with ;)

You're most welcome. I think it's a fab gift!

Thanks for the comment :)
Hugs!
Happy New Year!

January 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi there again Amina!

I prefer shimmer over matte hehe. I'm a it of an addict when it comes to a bit of sparkle..guess I need to grow up a little bit ;)

January 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi there Kaoru!

At first I was kinda ranty it was so small but than I got excited at the prospects of such a tiny paltte for travel! I'm the same, I have a slew of color I barely use so here's a nice solution for having alot in small sizes that will be easy to use up!

Exactly...I actually wish more brands would embrace the design and concept. Because in the end it would actually save me $!

I really hate going on holiday with makeup. I just don't trust the airports with my good makeup :( they treat luggage with total disregard and god knows if you bring anything LE that breaks you'll be crying over it all through your holiday :P hate that feeling!

Exactly! I was thinking apply these and add a bit of sparkle from some other shadow :) And like you said transparent ones are ideal!

Thanks for the comment!

Hugs!

January 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi there ' * : . b | u 3 . : * ' !

lol yes it kinda does just a bit more quality :)

Mmm I guess it can be overwhelming but I think that's part of it's appeal as well. I'm always a sucker for variety in a palette :)

January 3, 2009 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Christine!

That means I owe you a great thanks as this palette is awesome and without readers asking me about it I probably would have skipped :)

Yay glad you got. The case design totallyyyyyyyyyy thrilled me to pieces!

Enjoy yours hun! Happy Weekend!

January 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anjela!

Some of the softer shades are very light and sheer however the darker shades would pop on a darker skin tone :)

I can understand how you feel because I'm honestly a shimmer girl all the way :) Maybe next year they'll do a shimmer version:)

I've been meaning to pick up a cs palette for review...the shimmer one looks amazing but it's sold out currently.

the lippies are amazing I'll have a review shortly..although I did a review on one a while back ago from another collection. The lippies are soft, buttery, and glide on like a dream so they are well worth it if you like a highly moisturizing lipstick.

January 3, 2009 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anonymous!

Not sure when that will be but I'll update you when it happens. You could prob use it nicely as a touch up compact but I'm sure it would be best to use as an application compact :) considering all the variety.

Will update when I hit the bottom of a pan!

January 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi jackie!

believe me you'll fall in love with it's tiny size :)

However if you're like me you may be on the fence about the mattes but hey top it with some pigment or sparkle and you're good :)

January 3, 2009 at 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really can't justify spending that much, especially seeing how tiny the palette is. You could spend that much at coastal scents and get the 88 color matte palette, the 88 color SHIMMER palette, and the neutral palette as well. Which I highly recommend everyone do, because I'm loving all three! The colors are amazingly pigmented and they blend well.

January 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi asta.

The price is a bit much but it's only around $2 bucks a shadow so I thought it was a good deal in the end.

Honestly I've been curious about the mega palettes from coastal scents for a while but honestly lord knows where they get them, what is in them, etc.....they may be very nice and very cheap but ingredient wise I imagine they have a ton of funky stuff in 'em :P These same palettes are all over ebay.

I think I'll stick with Bobbi :)

January 3, 2009 at 3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wht do i add to to the bobbi brown bright eyes colors to get a shimmery effect?

January 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi meg

mac pigments, cosmetic glitter, loose mineral pigments, be glimmers, urban decay eyeshadows, etc...

hope this helps!

February 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home