Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Sep 8, 2008

Forgotten Collections: MAC Solar Bits Review

Better later than never at all...or so they tell me!

I'm a bit late and behind with my MAC posts you have to forgive me! I am, as always, a MAC fan girl but for some odd reason I got a bit mucked up when I went on vacation. My MAC Cool Heat post never made it up and my MAC Solar Bits review never got put up either! And by the very way I still have Cult of the Cherry items to blog too! Oops!

Bad Muse, Bad!

However, I figure a review of MAC Solar Bits is definately in order so I might as well slap this up before we all get old and gray (gosh, I think I may already fit part of that description or..all..eep!).





MAC Solar Bits were hailed by the masses and I definately enjoyed grabbing three of the four shades released this Summer however I did have some minor rants and a few raves about this particular style of pigments.

Although these were extremely pigmented with a very interesting texture they were a god awful mess to use sadly. The pigments are not finely milled and are made up of chunky pieces that caused major fall out woes. With a bit of care, patience, and some serious prepping you could create some great looks!

The formula is a good deal different from the standard pigment line. Although the pigmentation and color payoff is about the same as any other MAC pigment you will notice an interesting characteristic Solar Bits possesses. Where as a normal pigment stays one color, Solar Bits had a special knack of morphing into an entirely new hue when you pressed down and began the blending process. Each small curd of pigment would burst upon contact with your brush or sponge applicator and the shade would morph slightly creating a rather interesting effect.

Scatterays paired up with some gold!






Bronzescape on it's own.






Black Ore creating an unusual effect over some MAC Pigment in Kelly Green!




The colors I have are Bronzescape, Black Ore, and Scatterays.

Bronzescape was a brassy, bronze shade that had a faint shimmer of gold, Scatterays is a soft peachy shade with hints of gold, and Black Ore was an off black with gold. All three shades had faint traces of gold that made them extra special. I'm particularly grateful that I don't have to tuck these away since the Summer is over, they'll easily work well into the colder seasons for an interesting smoky eye look especially Black Ore.













Although Solar Bits LOOK bigger they actually aren't. Each pot is 3.9g/0.14oz in size where as a standard pigment is 7.5g/0.26oz. Interesting little fact for you there.

Although interesting and unique I wasn't too impressed with Solar Bits and as I mentioned I did find them a bit of a mess to work with.

I definately liked trying these but I'm unsure if it was the color selection or just the product itself that's not getting a complete WOW for these!

All in all another interesting offering from MAC.

Did you get these?

Love 'em?

Hate 'em?

Skipped?

Tell the Muse!



MAC Neo Sci-Fi Review

MAC Cult of Cherry Review

MAC Overrich Pigments Review

MAC Color Forums Review

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always thought you reviewed these gems already. A little bit retro but it's ok. I got 2 out of 4 but rarely use them, reserve for special occasions I think!

Did you come over to see the FOTD yet? I hope you'll like it!

September 8, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Tammy M said...

My favorite of these was Black Ore... I felt that it was the most flexible of all the colors. This formula of pigment is a little more difficult to apply, it does take a bit longer to work with them, but the payoff is worth it to me!

September 8, 2008 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger ~*MC*~ said...

I posted a face I did with Solar Bits on my blog back in July. (http://mcsmakeup.blogspot.com/2008/07/mcs-face-of-week-mac-neo-sci-fi-and-mac.html)

While I hate the texture in the pot, I do like the pigmentation and I got used to using them after a few tries. My trick was sweeping the brushes over the plastic cover where a lot of the pigment was stuck to and used short, fast sweeps over the eye and smoothing the pigment with my pinky.

Happy Monday!!! :)

September 8, 2008 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dao!

I'm so behind :) I didn't get a sec to review these :P

I didn't like them all that much for some reason. Bit messy :P
I'm heading over now ;)
Can't wait to see!!!!!

Hugs!

September 8, 2008 at 2:55 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey tammy!

It was an interesting shade..it did well at deepening other piggies!

There is something I just don't like about these..maybe it's the mess? Not sure. Just seems like regular old pigment with not much special about 'em.

I did like 'em just not love :)

September 8, 2008 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi mc!

Great FOTD!!!!!

I do the same thing with my regular pigments. I find it blends the color into the brush best when I swipe around the plastic bit.


Hugs!
Happy Monday to you too!

September 8, 2008 at 3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home