Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jul 15, 2009

Beauty Battle: MAC 224 Versus MAC 217


Gather round kids time to battle some brushes! I get alot of questions about which is the best blending brush for creating good eye looks. When I first started out with MAC I was recommended two brushes from a Specktra member that changed my life (and I'm sure yours if you own them). The 217 and 224 are recommended far and wide by MAC lovers everywhere as the perfect brush for blending color to a fine finish. They are two of my very favorite brushes and I probably wouldn't want to face the makeup world without either.


Placing them in the ring together to battle it out isn't such a fine idea as they are both very good brushes and should both be in your arsenal but who follows rules anyway! Might as well stir thing up.

Our beauty battle will begin after the jump as I pit the MAC 224 up against the MAC 217. Who'll be the victor? You'll see have to read to find out more!

As I mentioned above both the MAC 224 and the MAC 217 are incredible blending brushes but of course one has to be the winner in this battle. Which will it be?






In this corner we have the MAC 224 which is a fluffy shadow brush specifically designed to blend out shadow color particularly in the crease. I wouldn't recommend it for applying color directly to the lid but it's a treat for blending shadow out especially if your contrasting shadow within the crease or towards the V of the eye. I reach for it often when blending and find it does a very good job of gently blending color together without creating a muddy mess. It's $28.50 price tag is well worth it however the MAC 217 has a bit of an advantage with a cheaper price tag.










The MAC 217 is smaller compared to the 224 with fluffy bristles that are just a bit more denser. It works incredibly well at blending within the crease or all over the eye. It's small size makes it a shoe in for fitting over the eye socket for a seamless blend. At $22.50 it's $5.50 less than $28.50. With it's cheaper price tag and ability to blend colors evenly while fitting nicely into the curve of the eye this could prove to be a major kick in the 224's face.






Picking between two incredible brushes like these is a difficult task but I award the final knockdown to the MAC 217. It's smaller size fits my crease quite well and allows me to blend easily without creating fall out which I find happens with the 224. It fits neatly all over my eye particularly my crease. It blends shadow like a dream and allows me to press as lightly or as hard as I like without having to worry about screwing up the entire eye look I am trying to accomplish. For the most part I think it's advantage is the smaller length of the bristles when compared to the longer ones of the 224. For controlled application and blending the 217 wins this beauty battle hands down!

What do you think?

Does the MAC 217 or the MAC 224 win your beauty battle?

Tell the Muse!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So far, I can't find a good and cheap dupe for the 217 but for the 224, Sonia Kashuk blending brush is really good. I have to agree with you, the 217 has a slight advantage over the 224 :)

July 15, 2009 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

I prefer the 224 :)

July 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM  
Anonymous prettybeautiful said...

hello muse! love your blog too =) have been a secret follower :) have added u in my link!

July 15, 2009 at 11:43 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

yay dao! glad you're a 217 lover too! have to peep at the SK one :-D see if I like it too!

July 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd :-D

224 is an awesome brush :D

July 16, 2009 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

aww thank you so much prettybeautiful!

I really enjoy your blog :-D

July 16, 2009 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger jackieg02 said...

The 217 wins this battle for me!
I don't know how I lived without it.

July 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I couldn't live without my 217! So much in fact, I own 3 of them.

July 20, 2009 at 3:21 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

truly both are great blushes jackie :-D I couldn't live without either! Difficult battle!

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

damn amber :-D that's serious brushin' :D

July 22, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home