Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Dec 1, 2008

Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual Review

The Muse remembers the first time she purchased a cosmetic book. It had to be 10 years or so ago and it was entitled Your Makeover: Simple Ways for Any Woman to Look Her Best by Morgen Schick. The Muse is a big supporter of Morgen Schick and her amazing array of awesome cosmetics and her book was quite great at creating a flawless, natural look.

Recently the Muse was introduced to another makeup book which is the Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual. The Muse finished this book in a day! I took it to bed with me one night and didn't stop reading until it was completely done. Although much of what was discussed I already know I still felt like the book was an awesome manual for those who are just starting out in the cosmetic world.





The book covers many topics such as picking a moisturizer and foundation for your skin tone and type, how a good diet influences your skin and body, application of concealer, foundation, eye makeup, and more! The book has a solid index of just about everything you want or need to know about makeup and application. Granted, the book does contain the most basic (no complex application methods here just straight to the point) of information but this is actually what makes it so appealing as the simplicity of the techniques are easy to follow and understand! The book covers virtually all aspects of makeup but it also covers details such as photographer and becoming a makeup artist.























All in all it's a rather interesting compilation of great tips and tricks! I think it's well worth picking up if you're a beginner to makeup application or you're just seeking to brush up on your current skills!

I enjoyed it and I'm quite happy to have it on my bookshelf as I definately learned a thing or two after reading it!

You can nab yours from Amazon.com

Anyone read it or own it?

Tell the Muse!



Bobbi Brown Pink Satin Collection Review

Bobbi Brown Glitter Lip Balm in Copper Diamond Review, Swatches, and FOTD

Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Palette Review, Swatches, and FOTD

Bobbi Brown Party Collection

Labels: , ,

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kayvid: Hey Muse! How are you? Happy Thanksgiving(belated) :-)
I was catching up on your blog and was wondering which was the foundation which you found at an outlet but generally retails for a lot and you had loved it. I really cannot remember.

December 1, 2008 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

I've actually been considering buying it. I've never owned a makeup book, and of the ones I've seen recently, it seems to be the best.

December 1, 2008 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that looks interesting, thanks for introducing it! I haven't got Bobbi's earlier books, but I think I'm getting this one! Have a nice week : ).

December 1, 2008 at 3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Looks great! I just want to know though, does this book cover much on applying makeup on Asian skin, EYES (v. impt)? Just because it is very very different to apply make up on Asian features!

Thanks =)

December 1, 2008 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey kavid!

Happy belated hony! I'm great!

ooo that would be Lancome Absolue :) http://www.musingsofamuse.com/2008/09/lancome-absolue-makeup-review.html

Hope this helps hun!

December 1, 2008 at 4:42 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd!

It's quite interesting...I thought the info was quite helpful! They have it for $21 bucks on amazon which isn't bad and maybe deep discount dvd is even cheaper, haven't checked!

December 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi mizz x!

You're most welcome lovie! Me either this is my 1st :) was interesting reading!

You have a super week too hun!

December 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi there Zahira!

It covers asian skin and eyes yes but not too many looks...most I read on Asian eyes was liner techniques....def covers many races and skin colors and types however it doesn't go into elaborate details more basic info :)

Hope this helps!


It is indeed very different indeed! Might I rec checking out youtube for tips and tricks for Asian skin and eyes? I've seen many fantastic tuts on there!

December 1, 2008 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Phyrra said...

So do you think I could actually learn better makeup techniques with this book, or would I be better off looking for something with more advanced techniques?

December 1, 2008 at 5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kayvid: Awesome! Thanks! Are you still liking it as much? I'm really itching to try it :-)

December 2, 2008 at 9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, I´m putting this on my christmas list.

December 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey dd!

I'm not sure...you have to ask yourself how good your technique is now...if it's good and advanced I'd say settle on another book however if you're wanting the basics and wanting to improve and learn more about techniques but without alot of fanfare and difficult instructions I highly rec this!

it's very basic, simple and straight to the point :)

which is why I liked it!

December 2, 2008 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi kayvid...hehe was this comment meant for the book?

December 2, 2008 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi nell!

yay!!!!!

December 2, 2008 at 2:23 PM  
Blogger makeupmag said...

I like that page filled with colours...although it's not very BB?!

December 2, 2008 at 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kayvid: No, I meant to ask whether you are still liking the Lancome Absolue foundation? I really want to try it considering that it is winter.

December 2, 2008 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

mags, don't be discouraged it's very bb :) the looks are very minimal and simple yet elegant!

December 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

oh well duh ;P

sorry kayvid ;) Yes I am still using it and loving it. My skin is just starting to get the flaky feel that it does when winter sets in and I like using this for those days when my face feels ready to crack :)

December 2, 2008 at 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Makeup Manuel'? Is that like Batmanuel's campy younger brother?

Remember Batmanuel, from the Tick?

http://www.thetick.ws/images/Batmanuel%202.jpg

December 2, 2008 at 6:45 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

lol mandy......you need to edit for me :)

my brain works faster then my hands :)

misspelling central!

December 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Fall Wedding Bride said...

Awesome giveaway!!! Thank you for the awesome chance!!

Trisha

toddntrisha@verizon.net

December 16, 2008 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Pao said...

Hi Muse! Like it! If I'm not lucky I may get in on amazon, look really good!

December 19, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home