Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Dec 12, 2008

Bobbi Brown Holiday 2008: Bobbi Brown Lip and Eye Palette Review, Swatches, and FOTD

Ahh the Muse has gone so natural and neutral lately hasn't she? But she can't help herself when Bobbi Brown keeps introducing awesome palettes! The new Limited Edition Bobbi Brown Lip and Eye Palette contains an array of naturally beautiful shades for creating that perfect party look with a tiny bit of pop and a whole lot of elegance.











The palette contains four Bobbi Brown Creamy Lip Colors and four Bobbi Brown Metallic Eyes Shadows in a slick, black compact. I loved the design of the palette as it has the lip colors on top with a pull out draw housing the shadows so everything is kept nice and tidy. The draw designed to hold the shadows pulls out easily and houses the shadows nice and tight.

The shadows are all gorgeous colors with a nice metallic almost shimmery like finish. The shades are all very use friendly and aren't in the least bit bold or scary so you'll be getting a soft, natural look from each shade. I wouldn't say the shadows are necessarily the same in color but I do feel like you can't combine them to create different looks. The shadows each have an individual color and combining them does nothing but create muddy shades so I would suggest using each shade individually. The $60 USD price tag may be a bit discouraging when faced with only four looks that can be arranged from the four included colors however I took all this into consideration and still felt like it was well worth the price since the looks you can create are truly lovely.

I was a bit put off by the lip colors as I was expecting the same soft, buttery formula that I was recently treated to when I purchased the Bobbi Brown Pink Satin Collection. However, the formula on these was a bit hard and the colors weren't too pigmented. They weren't particularly easy to apply and didn't feel as soft as the ones I originally tried. I was a bit let down by this but after applying and playing around a bit I was happy with how they looked on so I decided to disregard the crummy formula.

The palette contains a lip brush and a shadow brush. Both of which are mini size and fabulous in my opinion. Be it large or small I'm always very impressed with Bobbi Brown Makeup Brushes. I'm particularly a big fan of her lip brushes! Both brushes make applying everything a snap and it doesn't take a ton of skill or drama to achieve a soft, flattering, work friendly look using the brushes, shadows, and lip colors!





The shadows included in the palette are:

  • Champagne Quartz (Shimmering beige with touches of pink)
  • Gold Dust (Shimmering Gold)
  • Golden Bronze (Shimmering fleshy peach)
  • Galaxy (Shimmering gray with a touch of a black)









The lip colors included in the palette are:

  • Berry Mauve (Berry Pink)
  • Pink Sequin (Sheer Peach)
  • Dusty Mauve (Mauve with a heavy dose of brown)
  • Ruby (Off Red almost maroon)









I've reviewed the Metallic Eye Shadows prior to this and it deserves to be mentioned again how great the formula is. For one of my looks below I actually decided to apply wet and I have to say I love how it intensifies the color and gives a foil finish when the shadow is applied this way.

I honestly can't begin to tell you about my lips. All my looks below are created using everything in the palette but I mixed, combined, and cocktailed all the colors together to create the shades hehe so I'm unsure what I'm wearing! I think that mixing them all together kinda creates some rather nice shades rather than wearing them alone.

Gold Dust applied wet






Galaxy






Golden Bronze






All in all I absolutely loved this palette! It's not loud or bold or vibrant but it does create some very soft, flattering looks that are ideal for work or a Holiday party! If you're scared of bolder shades this will be a perfect pick for creating natural, elegant looks for the season! This one gets a big Muse Approval for purchase! Very worth it and a truly great palette, possibly my favorite of all the Bobbi Brown palettes I've tried as of late!





Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Palette Review


Free Bobbi Brown Holiday Makeup Lessons

Bobbi Brown Glitter Lip Gloss Review

Bobbi Brown Party Collection

Labels: , , , , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Phyrra said...

Galaxy is gorgeous!
I like Gold Dust and Champagne Quartz too.

Gold dust looks amazing on you foiled.

I have to agree, this is an elegant palette, though I'm not crazy about the lippy colors :(

December 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

thank ye :) I like Galaxy the best :)

They work a real treat when wet :)

Lippy colors were kinda blah for me but they grew on me after application and totally loving 'em at the moment ;)

though the texture kinda disappoints me...wanted a bit more of a glossy feel but hey it is a lip cream not a lip gloss :)

December 12, 2008 at 4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the shadows v shimmery? glittery?

December 12, 2008 at 10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have this and your review encouraged me to take it out again. It is a really lovely palette.
Concerning the lip shades: in the Pink Satin Collection there were lip glosses whereas in this palette there are 2 shades of Creamy Lip Color and 2 of the Metallic Lip Color formula, hence the difference. With gloss on top I find these very nice.

December 13, 2008 at 3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

la sigh.... girlfriend, you know what? i had been wishing hard for this to be my birthday present!!! but i got a jar of chanel anti-wrinkle night cream instead!!! how sad is that???!!! you look gorgeous with this on and i am not just saying it for saying's sake. i mean it. this is the palette for you this holiday for sure. not overly done not understated. i want it! i hope there is still one when i return to KL. i will only go back after the new year! argh. ok, i am calling the store today!

thanks for the review. ps: i got both The Body Shop Sparkle Eye Palettes partly because of your review and the feedbacks on it too. LOVING them!!! best e/s palettes for me this holiday!

December 13, 2008 at 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi musey,
I love the lip combo you wore with galaxy! It's a lovely berry-pink shade.
I seem to become a bobbi convert too, a few days ago i bought shimmering nudes, basics eye palette and also the rouge for lips and cheeks in velvet plum, i'm going back to get it in pink truffle =D but it sucks that we don't carry the full range for lip/cheek rouge =(
I love the basics eye palette! It's great for contouring, shading and adding definition even to asian lids =D
i don't really wear eyeshadow because even if i wear it on my inner lid, it's virtually the same as wearing eyeliner, and if i blend it more to my outer lids it makes me have this too dramatic look due to my almond eye shape =p but i find that bobbi shadows are sheer and it blends well, and with the combo in Basics i can apply more no problem.

Was tempted to get this lip and eye palette too but since i have shimmering nudes and basics, the eyeshadow shades are quite similar, and i was also irked at how you cannot use the shadow shades together (why?? wasn't that the point of having an eyeshadow palette..) but the lipstick pro palette is calling my name, i shall check if it's available here =D

awesome review musey! I look forward to em' everytime.

December 13, 2008 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger makeupmag said...

I'm not so keen on the warmer lippies but the e/s look pretty and wearable. :)

December 13, 2008 at 11:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey muse!! i just went through your entire blog...took me like 5 hours cuz you had so much that i liked!!!! ahaha. what am i doing...when my finals like a day after tomorrow....

anyways i was wondering if you can do instructional post on how to use deep cleansing oil...the japanese one. i bought one but i don't know how to use it...

and i was wondering...i was reading all of your posts and i didn't see anything about instrucional and i thought it would help me a lot of if you do intructional posts from now on...its just my suggestion. if you don't have time, thats fine too. anyways thank you. i love your bloGG!! seroiusly!!

December 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM  
Blogger plue said...

They look pretty! But I haven't got huge lemming for BB so I think I shall pass it first :P

By any chance have you got the BB gel liners? I am contemplating as to whether should I get them or not, as they aren't exactly cheap :(

And thanks for linking my darling! ^_^

Oh, I've sent you an email, just to let you know, in case it gets thrown to the spam box! :P

loves,
plue

December 14, 2008 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Mukho said...

Very lovely!

The gold dust looks just amazing, and so do ur lips :) beautiful combination of whatever u used, hehe

Pity about the bad formula but ruby looks like a nice color for the lips..

December 14, 2008 at 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Muse!
This palette is absolutely gorgeus! Pity I look like sick in all BBs lipstick shades...

December 15, 2008 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anonymous!

Did you read the review? I explained the finish, texture, and formula of the shadows in it!

Hope this helps!

December 15, 2008 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey nell!

It's really fab isn't it?! Ahh I was wondering..and hadn't had a sec to pull out my pink satin palette to have a look! I agree...so long as I gloss up after I apply they look quite nice..I find mixing the shades really creates some good shades :)

December 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey jojoba!

Awwww I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!! :( but hey the chanel is just as good hehe!


Aww gee lovie thanks so much! Your comment totally made my Monday morning *hugs*

Let me know and I can always pick it up for you :) would be my pleasure!

I NEED the body shop ones :-) haven't picked them up yet but must must must haves them :) Lucky girl! Did you review yet?

December 15, 2008 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hello helena!

Missed ya around here :) Thanks so much! I swear I haven't a clue what it is either..I just combined all the shades lol!

I love the cheek/lip rogues myself..good stuff...nice haul btw :) the shimmering nudes is so gorg :)

awww! It's so nice you found a perfect palette that blends well for your eye type :)

They are very similar as the shimmering nudes palette! Mmm I was kinda let down I couldn't use 'em together either :P If you attempt it, it just comes out looking muddy or looks the same as it would if you used one shade...so pointless to try to combine!

Aww thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed the review :)

Hugs!

December 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey mags!

I wasn't too sure about 'em either but I kinda dig 'em now that I mixed them up and created new shades :)

December 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi minsun!

LOL whoa :) Hope you had a good time reading :)

I basically wash my hands, dry my hands, and after that I apply to my dry face...rub in and rinse :)

Hope this helps!

I have so many reviews to get done it's sometimes hard to get tutorials done and such but I will try to do some later on down the road :) I'm not so fab at doing the pics and such for tuts so that's why I mostly avoid it as what's a tut without pics :)

I'm so glad you enjoy my blog :) flatters me silly you love it so much!

Hugs!

December 15, 2008 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

morning plue!

I kinda didn't either for a long time but as I get older I begin to appreciate the simplicity :)

hehe!

I do indeed..they are quite fab...I reviewed them here actually!

my pleasur!

Aww thanks! I'll go look now!

Hugs!

December 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi mukho!

Thanks hun! LOL lord knows what it was..I just mixed them all up :)

I think it's always hard to get lip palettes to work out just right..but with a bit of gloss...not bad :)

December 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi pao pao!

Awww sorry to hear it :( You can always snag the shimmering nude palette..that's only shadows :) no lippies!

w00t!

Missed ya around here!
Hug!

December 15, 2008 at 12:14 PM  
Blogger makeupmag said...

I must've been channelling you when I bought two BB items on Sunday! I love them - After Hours e/s single and the Shadow Basics palette - pretties to play with for the smokey eyes I LOVE! :D

December 15, 2008 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

lmao mags :) I haven't purchased the basics yet but I'm thinking about it :)

After Hours is gorg!!!!! Nice haul hun!

I'm on a real bb kick lately!

December 15, 2008 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger makeupmag said...

After Hours makes the most gorgeous smokey eyes. It is especially stunning over MAC Metal-X Gilded Ash. Amazing, I tell you!

December 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey mags!

ohhh must try :) I have gilded ash so must try this :)

Thanks for the tip hun!

December 30, 2008 at 1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Muse!:) Just found this review and wanted to thank you for this! I've been looking for close ups of this palette so I could finally decide whether I need this one or not:) Colors are GORGEOUS! Thanks again1:) Oksana.

January 12, 2009 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi oksana!

You're most welcome :)

It's truly a fab palette I'm so glad my review helped you decide :)

Happy Shopping!

Hugs!

January 12, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home