Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

Jul 10, 2008

Beauty on a Budget: Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara Review

I nabbed some of the new Maybelline Colossal Volum' Express Mascara a few days ago...Hells was that a mouth full or what?







That's some ridiculously long name!

I had to go to Rite Aid...or maybe CVS...somewhere like that to pick up a prescription so this was hanging out on a large end cap display and all the shiny neon packaging drew me in like a moth to a flame.

I firgure that shelling out $4.99 USD had to be better than losing $8.99 USD on that scary L'Oreal Telescopic mascara!



Thanks to Mandy for reminding me of this fab commercial!

Well it turns out that Maybelline has done a good job with Colossal Volum' Mascara! Aside from the really long, irritating name the mascara itself is actually quite good for the price tag!





We have lift off people! Finally a Beauty on a Budget find that's good!

I prefer my mascaras to have some sort of comb applicator so I wasn't thrilled to find out that this had a rather large brush applicator. I normally find that large brush applicators cause major clumps for me which is the reason I don't like some of the Dior mascaras that are out. Large voluminizing brushes just make a mess in my humblest.

The good news is that it is indeed a BRUSH. It's not a piece of plastic with some spikes on it that they call a brush....it's a brush...with bristles...Maybelline is kicking it old school with this mascara! Even better news is that the brush works well at evenly distributing the mascara and fattening my lashes up nicely. It promises volume and it delivers. It fattens my lashes up very nicely without making them a clumpy, spikey mess! It also has great long wear without smudging or flaking all day even in severe humidity (it's been humid here in New York the past few days)!



I didn't experience major lenght after application but it definately gave me an appearance of nice, full lashes. I didn't have to struggle with it during application, or fiddle around trying to get it on correctly, or have to comb it out afterward. I brushed it on quickly, it applied evenly and perfectly with the first stroke, and I was good to go. Unlike other drugstore brands I've tried this was pretty good quality for the price.

This isn't really a "oh my god you must buy this or die!" post because I wasn't that impressed with the mascara to get that crazy! However, at a price of $4.99 USD it is worth checking out for yourself especially if you're either on a budget or just don't like shelling out large amounts of cash for a top shelf mascara.

The Muse thinks it's a Steal, a Deal, and a great Beauty on a Budget find!

Not necessarily Muse Approved but definately worth checking out for yourself!

Have you tried Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara?

Love it?

Hate it?

Tell the Muse!



Craving more mascara? Take a blast through the Muse's past and check out some old mascara reviews!

Click here to read my raving review on Excel Mascara!

Visit my Beauty Addiction list to find out which mascaras I'm addicted to!

Click here to find out why I wasn't loving the new Visee mascaras that were released with the Spring Collection!

Check out my Year End Review to see what mascara made it as a favorite!

Find out why Heroine Mascara Remover isn't all that!

Click here
to read my rave for Urban Decay's New Summer Collection that includes Big Fatty "Color" Mascaras!

Click here to find out why I love Fairy Drops Mascara from Japan!

Find out about a rather interesting Lorac mascara that was recently released!

Click here to see me wearing Maybelline The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara in a Face of the Day I did recently!

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Tammy M said...

Wow! I cannot believe you like a DS mascara! For that price, I guess I can try it out while I wait on my MJ to get here...

Thank goodness no rubber brush!

July 10, 2008 at 8:54 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

*jumps around* can you believe it!?

lol

For the price you can't really go wrong. it's not "oh my god have to have it" but it is decent. I was impressed and it takes alot to impress me hehe!

THANK god no rubber brush! Sheesh there isn't a mascara out there right now with out the bloody rubber brush head!

It not be god damn rubber brush time now! =-) Sorry I LOL cats a little too much hehe!

I'm so excited you're getting MJ mascara can't wait for your take on it!

July 10, 2008 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Laurie // 312 Beauty said...

I have mixed feelings about this mascara.

It smells a tad funny - but that doesn't totaly bother me, it's just something I noticed. I liked it the first week I used it and then I think the formula got too goopy. It started clumping and I think I have to toss it already!

July 10, 2008 at 10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Maybelline mascara - cheap and does the job.
I have gone through 2 tubes of Volume Express, and I just love it. So Colossal sounds fab!

I think Maybelline is usually a safe bet if one needs a cheap mascara say overseas or something. Can't go wrong with the company that invented commercial mascara, aye?

July 10, 2008 at 10:24 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

laurie,

Actually you are right and I should have mentioned it. Kinda has a plastic smell doesn't it?

Mmmm...I'd say you're prob right. I notice that within a month or less of starting a DS brand mascara that it goes dry and clumpy quickly.

Very weird. This was not too bad for the price but honestly I'm positive it'll on the bottom of my draw by week's end :P

I'm a snob I guess!

July 10, 2008 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi loey!

I'm just a bit of a makeup snob sometimes ;) I haven't tried the Volume express but each time you mention it I want it more lol!

If it's that good I obviously need to review ;)


Maybelline def set the ground work for mascara but it's not my main choice sadly ;P

July 10, 2008 at 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this mascara. I guess it could be compared to Cover Girl's Lash Blast, which I didn't care for. It flaked really bad, and got into my eye (i wear contacts), so it was a no for me for Lash Blast. I rather this one, the brush doesn't feel like it is ripping out my eyelashes like the Lash Blast.

To each his own, I guess!

July 10, 2008 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hiya jackie.
I liked it too. Price wasn't too bad either.

Haven't tried the Lash Blast but thankfully no flakes with this or smudging!

The applicator is a plus on this as I had the plastic brushes yak!

I definately liked it. Not a bad word in my review about it ;)

Wahoo me! I deserve a pat on the back for not taking the piss out of it hehe!

July 10, 2008 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

I actually bought this for mandy to review, and...I dont love it so much. its good, but not what I expected. tsk tsk.

and I have a review for lash blast as well, also for mandy...good god it might as well be shit on a stick. >.<

July 10, 2008 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

oh I can't WAIT to hear what the love of my life has to say about it!

Ditto. I don't have a rant about it but it's not fabulous can't live without it.

LOL! Mandy should rip each a new a**hole after she's done with them ;)

She's good at blasting product right out of the water! Worst than me!

July 11, 2008 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger sarahPUFFY! said...

dude you have no clue. at first I really hated both. I mean REALLY. but after working with it some more, I find its not horrible, not not anything to drool over. lash blast was everything I thought it would be...a waste of 9 goddamn dollars. it even pulled out some lashes. pissed me off.

and dude mandy is hxc. I thought I was mean by saying "raa raa that eyeshadow is a pussy" but she takes it to a new bashing level. I love it!

July 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love maybelline's mascara! their full & soft is what i wear daily so im excited to try this out!

July 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

I'm kinda finding the same is happening with telescopic..it's not love and lust but it is growing on me ;)

god I hate wasting 9 bucks on ds mascara that blows arse!

LMAO that's my Mandy :)

July 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey sher

this isn't too bad! buy it at cvs this week ;) They give 2 extra bonus bucks so it's like 3.99 on sale :)

w00t!

July 14, 2008 at 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home