Musings of a Muse

A Blog of Musings from a Cosmetic Whore

May 7, 2009

MAC Fix+Rose Review

According to every single review I've read, I'm supposed to love MAC Fix+Rose...but I kinda don't and I'm feeling all guilty and bad about it. I really wanted to love this....why can't I?




Jump ahead for the whining!

Ok, so it deserves to be mentioned the Muse never tried MAC Fix+ prior to this however when she heard rose her ears perked up. She really loves anything rose in her skincare, how very Victorian! So she was all impressed that MAC Fix+ was adding a little rose into the mix of things to create their new limited edition Fix Spray.

As per the bottle's instructions I should be using this in one of two ways. As a toner...spray a bit on my face, moisturize, and rumble down with my makeup application or as a spray fix to keep my makeup in place. The Muse isn't a stranger to good toner and I actually probably couldn't live without toner. My skin is dry so toner definitely aids my moisturizer to sink in and absorb fully. The idea of using this after my makeup did scare me. Imagine having a full face of makeup on, concealer, powder, the works and spraying yourself with a toner, does that sound scary or is it me? But I was determined to make this work because the idea of this "fixing" my makeup in place all day was too appealing to pass up and I was thinking hey if it doesn't fix it at least I'll have a killer toner.

Yea well not so much came out of it as a toner or as a fix.

First of all I don't like it at all as a fixing agent. After applying a full on makeup and spraying my face down with this, I end up with a bit of a strange, washed out look. It's as if I was caught in the rain and some of my makeup wore off. I'm just not feeling makeup perfect after use if that makes sense. In it's defense I will say I've only used it once as a makeup fix (and a few times after as a toner). I plan on testing further but I've just been a tad bit wary to do it. I loved the smell, obviously roses however it caused a strange tightening on my face which I didn't love. I assume the slight tightening was the effect of the "fix". As an example it always feels like I'm wearing a very light peeling mask. You know that feeling of the mask being in place and it tightens a tad bit? That's how this feels. There was also a slight tingle, sting, burning sensation but that seemed to have disappeared since using it my 3rd or so time as simply a toner. As far as keeping my makeup in place all day...nope. Def not. If anything it washed half my makeup away with the first spray!




As a toner again I didn't like it but will say it did an interesting job of removing the flaky skin around my eye area and cheeks. My skin is going through that period where it gets used to the warm weather and is shaking off the cold Winter so I get a bit of flaking here and there which isn't always cleared up with exfoliation. This seems to aid my moisturizer in keeping my skin flake-free I think. But again I don't like the tight feeling it gives my skin. I also failed to mention that, oh my god, this burns terribly if you get it in your eye and come on obviously you will since you're squirting it on your face, it'll STING! OW!

So at the moment I'm somewhat in limbo if I like this stuff or if it's just another useless item. I'm still testing happily away but from what I tried so far it fails to impress. Thankfully I didn't buy a case of this as I was so enamored by the rose! I will say it's unquestionably a good deal, as all MAC products are, since it's such a large bottle with a tiny price tag. I just wish it would work now.....

What are your thoughts on MAC Fix+Rose?

Or just on MAC Fix+?

Do share it!

Loves it?

Same experience as the Muse with it?

Labels: , ,

28 Comments:

Anonymous Laura R said...

"they say" it's good to use with pigments and glitters, as in, spray on your brush before dipping it into the pigment. supposed to minimize fallout. i kinda want to try it for that.

May 7, 2009 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger sadira86 said...

i had fix+ but swapped it since i never used it. but i had to try fix+ rose too. i honestly don't use it religiously as anything. not a toner or a fixer. i love love the smell of it and i usually just spray it on after washing my face, mostly for the wonderful smell. and during the summer i'll probably use it a bit as a refresher to cool myself off. i also spray it on my body like my arms if i'm feeling like my skin is a bit dry.

May 7, 2009 at 3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey chica!
I actually love using Fix+ to refresh my makeup. Some time around 3pm, my makeup always looks a little sad, so a few spritzes of Fix + and the skin perks right up!! I've never tried it as a toner, though.

P.S. also usually do this during the winter months, when my skin's more dry. I swear I can hear it slurp this stuff up!!!

May 7, 2009 at 4:11 PM  
Anonymous Gouldylox said...

I like to use an Evian atomizer to set my mineral makeup. It takes the powdery finish down and makes everything look nice and fresh. Sometimes, it even makes the colors pop a little more. I haven't tried a Fix yet and the Rose made is sound like a good idea. Thanks for the review! I think I will pass! now if I could figure out why my blush comes off half way through the day...

May 7, 2009 at 4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anastasia said...

I haven't tested the rose fix yet (and it may be different), but I never spray the regular MAC fix directly onto my face. I usually put it on a flat brush and stipple it on. It seems to work really well when used this way (although I also have combination to oily skin, so this might also be the difference).

May 7, 2009 at 4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey muse i think when using it as a Fix to fix makeup the girls on you tube spray in their brush first kabooki or other and the dab it on their foundation to get rid of that powdery cakey foundation look - it might help ??

May 7, 2009 at 7:22 PM  
Anonymous witchy said...

I do love my Fix+. I don't use it daily, only on days when my face feels a bit tight. The way you described it, you might be spraying too much. How abt holding it further away, and just a squirt on each side of the face? You should just feel a very light mist. HTHs.
It's also lovely with mineral foundations... pick up powder with the brush, spray brush, and apply. Pores are less obvious, and no powdery look :)

May 7, 2009 at 11:03 PM  
Blogger miss_waterlily said...

I just bought this today actually! The price was good so i just grabbed n go, umm...neway it smells beautiful of roses, u can never have too much of rose;-)

May 7, 2009 at 11:39 PM  
Anonymous cece said...

im kind of on the fence abput fix+ as well,
though i dont own the rose one i have the regular one. ive given up with trying to use it is a fixer but its ok as a toner.
i like to use it after moisturizer to help areas on my face that are a bit more dry. it seems to work well for that purpose.

May 7, 2009 at 11:50 PM  
Blogger jackieg02 said...

I don't use Fix+ that often, but when I do I appreciate it. I use it to fix my makeup sometimes...mostly when I remember. I do find it to be an unnecessary step. When I over-powder my face, I spray this on my face and the over-powdery look is gone. Also, I have sprayed onto my 187 and lightly buffed it over my makeup. I also use this when I foil pigments or when I use loose shadows. I just spray on my eyeshadow brush and go to town. I like it, I would repurchase when I'm done with my bottle. Just not with Rose, I don't like rose scents too much.

May 8, 2009 at 1:03 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi sadira86

It's a rather great refresher but I dunno if I'd repurchase again afterward :-D Like you it's only a meh product for me!

May 8, 2009 at 10:13 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey heather :-D

I feel all happy like that you're commenting!
I really wanted to love this BADLY but I find it a tiny bit sticky. I think maybe my skin would love it in the Winter b/c I'm flaky as hell in the cold weather :-D

Thanks for commenting!
Happy Weekend!

May 8, 2009 at 10:15 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey Gouldylox!

Love Evian :-D Good stuff. I noticed that fix does make colors pop as well but the pop is a tad bit unnatural since my hand is so heavy during makeup application.

God I know the feeling blush melts off halfway through the day too! damn it.

:-D

May 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey Anastasia!

The MA I spoke to told me to do this too and I think it might work better that way but are you doing this after your full makeup is in place?

May 8, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi Anonymous!

Yup my ma said the same but I wasn't sure the best way to go about it :-D

It def does that, gets ride of the powder makeup look!

May 8, 2009 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi witchy!

Maybe you're right. I tried two squirts about 12 inches away from my face but honestly that feels like too much! I really really really want to love this.

Interesting. Will try this. I do notice that when I use a powder to set makeup and a spray of fix that I don't have that awful powder look! :-D

that's a plus!

May 8, 2009 at 10:26 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi miss waterlily!

absolutelyyyyyyy never enough rose :-D Update us on what you think when you tried it :D

May 8, 2009 at 10:27 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey cece!

Ditto but I'm feeling the like slowly :-D

As a few people mentioned it really does work good when you have powder on as it makes powder look less makeup like if that makes sense :-D

May 8, 2009 at 10:29 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey jackie!

I like the idea of using it over powder as I agree it does make powder less powdery looking!
oh no I adore rose :-D hehe!

May 8, 2009 at 10:30 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hi laura

def need to dry with my piggies :-D

May 8, 2009 at 10:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your review! I'm on the fence about this too - I want it, but I have enough toners.
I have been using Clarins Fix' Makeup Refreshing Mist & I love it! It has Silica in it so it helps control shine. Did you find that the MAC fix controls shine?

May 8, 2009 at 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Pink Ink said...

I just went for eyebrow trimming at MAC yesterday. My MA used Fix+ Rose when she was touching up my foundation (I was using powder foundation yesterday). I think my foundation has caked up a bit and Fix+ helped her get rid of the caked bits. Coz' when I got home, my foundation looked pretty good.

May 9, 2009 at 3:44 AM  
Anonymous C said...

im not a fan of the dispenser. i find it sprays unevenly or too much. i love this as a refresher, but i feel like when i spray it on top of my makeup it sorta makes it fade. does that make sense? i feel like i just messed up a good makeup application. i really need to figure out how to use this properly but i fail every time -___-;

May 9, 2009 at 4:39 AM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hmm heather hadn't heard about the clarins...hmmmmmmm :-D

must try that!

Not so much on the shine but than again my skin isn't quite oily yet...check with me when it gets hotter out :-D

May 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey pink ink!

it seems to really do an awesome job with powders!!!!!!! :-D

May 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

c

ditto!

It's just too much! If it was a finer mist I'd feel a bit better about squirting my face with it after a full makeup but after putting on makeup and squirting with this I feel like I'm ruining my makeup :(

May 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Nikkay said...

I like regular fix plus as a toner... that is all.

May 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM  
Blogger the Muse said...

hey nikkay :-D

thanks for sharin'! did you try the rose one yet?

May 18, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Comments are moderated and won't display right away. Thank you.

Please keep in mind all of the following when commenting. Readers are solely responsible for the content of the comments they post here. Comments are subject to the site's terms and conditions of use and do not necessarily reflect the opinion or approval of the editor of Musings of a Muse. Readers whose comments violate the terms of use may have their comments removed by the editor without notice.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home